4 squirts ok 2 squirts lean [SOLVED]

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Listepik
MS/Extra Newbie

4 squirts ok 2 squirts lean [SOLVED]

Post by Listepik »

sorry im a beginner at this game, but im getting better, hopefully you guys can help me here.

i have a Opel C16se with sort of a reasonable tune on it, running MS1 extra.

i reasently switched the stock 138cc injectors out cause they where maxed out, i put in some 245cc ones, and all was jolly. but i had to go to 2 squrts alternating instead of 4 alternating because of idle issues. but now it seems like it is maxing out the injectors with dutycycles nearing 100% and the engine running lean, even if i increase the VE's
but if i switch to 4 squirts all is fine and dandy again, and the engine runs fine except for idle but goes nowhere near 100% dutycycle.

as i understand it tunerstuidio should take care of everything if i switch from 4 to 2 squirts, and i would not need to change anything else.. but it just wont run WOT with 2 squirts!

i can add logs if they would help.

please help me :-)
Last edited by Listepik on Mon May 25, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listepik
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: 4 squirts ok 2 squirts lean

Post by Listepik »

i just had a thought. perhaps my fuelpressure drops when the squirts get longer, (2 squirts instead of 4) and this causes the engine going lean in greater load. unfortenately i have no mens of measuring this.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

You have nothing entered under "Number of Cyls" and "Number of Injectors". That's got to be good for SOME degree of confusion ...
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Listepik
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Listepik »

thats wierd, in my tunerstudio i have entered numer of cyls and numer of injectors.. 4 on both..

EDIT:

<constant name="nCylinders1">"4"</constant>
<constant name="cltType1">"Unknown2"</constant>
<constant name="matType1">"GM"</constant>
<constant name="nInjectors1">"4"</constant>

is in my MSQ. i believe that is sufficient :-)
Listepik
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Listepik »

the plot thickens, i tried putting a big ass fuelfilter on, hoping it would trap some air that could act like a buffer, no change, still running strong on 4 squirts alt. but no idle, and running lean but good at idle with 2 squirts alt. but then i tried 2 squirts simul. and here it pulled strong, but no idle.. so i guess its not pulses in the fuelpressure, because with all 4 injectors on at the same time and longer squirts, it should be worse as i see it.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Did you measure the injector dead times ?
Listepik
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Listepik »

Yves wrote:Did you measure the injector dead times ?
no, but i set it at 1ms like it is suggested everywhere :-) i don't have acces to a scope.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

You will never be able to switch between 2 and 4 squirts without the actual dead times. You don't need a scope. You need to get something to measure volume of fuel (something like 200 ml/1ml increments) and make a test rig. In that rig you will connect the injector to the fuel line at the pressure you normally run. You then activate the injector through the test feature in TS and have it injected a predetermined set of injections. You then put in the injected volume in a spreadsheet and it will give you the dead time.

If you want the spreadsheet sent me a pm with an email where I can sent you the spreadsheet.

PS : I used a injector mount from DIYAUTOTUNE to temporarily connect the injector to the fuel system and I used a lab power supply to test the injector at the required 13.2V.
Listepik
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Listepik »

well i seem to have solved the issue. i run 4 squirts now without problems. i found that the battery compensation voltage was WAY off. i did not set it like that, i never touched it, now i have set it at 0.125ms/v and everything seems to be going my way :D

i bought the MS secondhand and that is apperently a setting from the previous owner.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 4 squirts ok 2 squirts lean [SOLVED]

Post by Yves »

good job !
Listepik
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: 4 squirts ok 2 squirts lean [SOLVED]

Post by Listepik »

Yves wrote:good job !

thank you, and thank you for taking time to answer :-)