Boost control switch idea

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Kmsgli
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Boost control switch idea

Post by Kmsgli »

Hey guys I an running a MS2 and as far as I know boost via a vss is not an option unless I upgrade to ms3. I'm looking for an idea or a way to switch my boost control solenoid on from 3rd gear up.

Essentially I want to run waste gate spring pressure for 1st and 2nd gear and the some type of switch that turns the boost control solenoid for 3rd 4th and 5th

My initial though is some type of ground contact on the gears i want the solenoid on for to complete the ground signal but that seems complicated.

The easy way would be a button on the shifter but that seems annoying and kind of crappy

Last idea was some type of button on the bottom of the throttle that required extra force to push down kind of like a BMW throttle pedal

Looking for some input or anyone who has done something like this before?

Any help is appreciated.

Car is a vw Corrado with a 1.8t stroked to 2.0
JoseMiguel
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Boost control switch idea

Post by JoseMiguel »

What most of us do when lookig for an easy installation is just put a small power switch in the selector, wired to the 12v of the solenoid. Whenever you want more boost, you just turn it on.
Kmsgli
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Kmsgli »

JoseMiguel wrote:What most of us do when lookig for an easy installation is just put a small power switch in the selector, wired to the 12v of the solenoid. Whenever you want more boost, you just turn it on.
Is there an advantage in cutting 12v instead of the signal wire which I believe is a ground? Or does it not matter?

If all else fails I will use a switch but the issue I am having is 2nd gear is very short and already has traction issues at the waste gate spring pressure and 3rd gear is long feels very slow so I want to keep waste gate pressure for 2nd then 3rd and up I want the boost solenoid to automatically turn on and allow a lot more boost.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Since there is no vss input for an ms2 it has to be done mechanically like you suggested. The valve won't care which wire you cut, but for this I would the 12v and use proximity switches on 3/4 gear to toggle a relay

Or for not a lot of money, you can upgrade to an ms3 card which I think can do vss without the 3x. You would need to verify that
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
Kmsgli
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Kmsgli »

nathaninwa wrote:Since there is no vss input for an ms2 it has to be done mechanically like you suggested. The valve won't care which wire you cut, but for this I would the 12v and use proximity switches on 3/4 gear to toggle a relay

Or for not a lot of money, you can upgrade to an ms3 card which I think can do vss without the 3x. You would need to verify that
I believe ms3 can do it without expansion board but I have a mechanical speedometer so I don't think that's a possibility for me.

The part i don't know much about is what type of switches to use on the gears. Can you elaborate I don't know of any simple way of differentiating between 1/2 and 3/4/5 without maybe metal contacts and springs which seems to bulky for under my shifter bolt area

Is there something I can by for this application or does or have to be home made?

Thanks for the input guys
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I'm thinking the white magnetic switches like on garage doors or house doors for the alarm. Stand them vertical and the same switch could be used for the 3/5 spot
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
Kmsgli
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Kmsgli »

Fixed my tps and set everything above 95% to full boost and below 95% to waste gate pressure. I think that's best case until I can upgrade to ms3