Fuel system question

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Fuel system question

Post by Yves »

I am using an aeromotive a1000 and associated fpr. What leak down rate is normal here? Mine goes down really fast. No one way valve
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Fuel system question

Post by Matt Cramer »

Yes, Aeromotive regulators don't hold pressure with the key off. I suspect they are set up to flow more fuel to the return line than an OEM type.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

I have found that if the fuel pump doesn't have a built in check valve then they all bleed back to zero psi fairly quick. if you put a check valve in after the fuel pump then the regulator will hold what ever the minimum pressure setting the regulator is set to. I have a Mallory fuel pressure regulator and when using a pump with built in check valve it holds minimum set pressure for days, using a pump without the check valve the pressure drops back to zero in about 10 seconds as it bleeds back through the pump.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Matt is right. I found a statement on the website of Aeromotive that says that the fpr is designed to bleed off the pressure faster than oem fpr's. This is apparently done for flow reasons. Not sure of the pump has a one way valve. It's causing some hard starting, so I may need to find a way to have the pump work full continue with the key on the on position.