Rev limiter settings and zeroing timing to check TDC mark

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Whitbread
MS/Extra Newbie

Rev limiter settings and zeroing timing to check TDC mark

Post by Whitbread »

Hello folks, I have 2 quick questions I need some help on. I'm running Microsquirt on a heavily moddified yamaha banshee. I'm running alhpa N tuning and have the rev limiter set to 13000rpm with a 100rpm soft zone. The issue I have is when the rear wheels come off the ground or crest a whoop and lose full traction under heavy/full throttle between 6K and 10K, engine power is immediately cut for a split second. If the tires never break load, I can rip through all 6 gears to 10,000rpm (where power falls off) with no limiting kicking in of any kind. Do you guys have any suggestions of some simple setting I'm missing?

Second question relates to getting the spark plug to fire at exact TDC to check my locating mark. Just double checking things here; If I set the cranking advance to zero and my 1000rpm cells in the ignition table to zero, that should make the plug fire at TDC and then I can adjust the #1 tooth offset to get it to exact zero right?

Thanks for the help folks!
Last edited by Whitbread on Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Rev limiter settings and zeroing timing to check TDC mar

Post by billr »

Easier than that, for checking timing, is to change from "use table" to "fixed timing" and set in a convenient number for the "fixed". If the only crank mark you have is TDC then "0" for fixed will work. Power will be down, but good enough to rev it all the way up and verify timing isn't drifting with rpm.
Whitbread
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Whitbread »

billr wrote:Easier than that, for checking timing, is to change from "use table" to "fixed timing" and set in a convenient number for the "fixed". If the only crank mark you have is TDC then "0" for fixed will work. Power will be down, but good enough to rev it all the way up and verify timing isn't drifting with rpm.
D'oh. Yup, that's simple. I'm 99% sure I have it right, I just wanted to double check as I had to change flywheels and reluctor wheels last week.
Whitbread
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Whitbread »

No one happens to know of a setting or conditions that cause power to be suddenly cut when rear wheels lose/break traction under WOT? Is there such a thing as an RPM/dot rate for damage prevention if you break a driveline component? Or is this just a quirk of alpha-N and I need to switch to speed density or ITB?
Last edited by Whitbread on Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Can you post a run log of when this happens? That "1st deriv prediction" for ignition control sure hints that it may be an rpm/dot condition that is triggering the rev limiter.
yzn
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by yzn »

it could have happened because on the rev limiter window you have a limit 6000 rpm when in tps bypass, try change the rev limiter clt based to normal and see if that fixed your issue.
Whitbread
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Whitbread »

billr wrote:Can you post a run log of when this happens? That "1st deriv prediction" for ignition control sure hints that it may be an rpm/dot condition that is triggering the rev limiter.
I would love to, but trying to carry a laptop on an 80hp atv at WOT when leaving the ground is slightly tricky haha. My only laptop is a 17" screened monster, I really need to get one of the little tiny net books so I can put it in a backpack.

yzn wrote:it could have happened because on the rev limiter window you have a limit 6000 rpm when in tps bypass, try change the rev limiter clt based to normal and see if that fixed your issue.
I'll give it a whirl and report back! I did the CLT rev limiter to prevent dumbasses from hopping on my bike and ripping on a cold motor like I always see everyone do.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Isn't this an MS3 of some sort? Stick an SD card in there for logging...
Whitbread
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Whitbread »

billr wrote:Isn't this an MS3 of some sort? Stick an SD card in there for logging...
No, Microsquirt running msextra code. The B&G code didn't want to play reliably.