MAF maxed out, I dont make that much HP

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

winstonusmc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

MAF maxed out, I dont make that much HP

Post by winstonusmc »

I switched out my Z32 300zx MAF a while ago for the newer slot style MAF out of the modern 350z/G35. I have been reading online and talking to some tuners that have experience with those engine and they routinely see 400hp on the dyno before they max out the MAF. My engine is an L28ET from a 280zx with the stock turbo. I have a log that shows 4.9v at 6400rpm and boosting 12.0psi. Now I know tune has some to do with air consumption, but come on, this isnt right. I have verified the part number with my other car, a G35, same MAF. I am not sure why, but the voltage isnt correct. I didnt check it with a multimeter and cant check it now because the car is down for suspension mods. Bottom line is the current engine should not even come close to maxing this thing out.

Here is the datalog. I would like to figure this out, I really like this MAF.

MAF max.msl
Nissan Skyline R34 RB26DETT ran MS3/MS3X w/ factory Hitachi CAS (sold)
Nissan Silvia S14 RB25DE ITB/NA ran MS3/MS3X w/ factory Mitsubishi CAS (disassembled)
Datsun 240z RB25DE ITB/NA with MS3/MS3X
winstonusmc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: MAF maxed out, I dont make that much HP

Post by winstonusmc »

Update!

Saw a post on here and it got me thinking....

It might be that the newer MAFs might be higher than 5v. I have read that the Q45 MAF is 7v and a couple sites say the Hitachi slot MAF is 6V. I think I am going to build a voltage divider in the proto area to step down the MAF voltage to see.
Nissan Silvia S14 RB25DE ITB/NA ran MS3/MS3X w/ factory Mitsubishi CAS (disassembled)
E30_Driv3r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by E30_Driv3r »

I am in the same boat as you, I have logs showing 4.5v at 22psi boost on e85 and I don't think i'm making enough power yet to fully max out the maf, but don't want to push it much further. I'm running a PMAS hpx maf as well. I'm ms3-pro so I cant play with the voltages I think. Was thinking to "let" it max out and just tune the trim table if need be, or get the PMAS extended range maf.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

E30_Driv3r wrote:I am in the same boat as you, I have logs showing 4.5v at 22psi boost on e85 and I don't think i'm making enough power yet to fully max out the maf, but don't want to push it much further. I'm running a PMAS hpx maf as well. I'm ms3-pro so I cant play with the voltages I think. Was thinking to "let" it max out and just tune the trim table if need be, or get the PMAS extended range maf.
Is it worth talking to PMAS about it? Surely they might be able to offer some guidance?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
E30_Driv3r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by E30_Driv3r »

jsmcortina wrote:
E30_Driv3r wrote:I am in the same boat as you, I have logs showing 4.5v at 22psi boost on e85 and I don't think i'm making enough power yet to fully max out the maf, but don't want to push it much further. I'm running a PMAS hpx maf as well. I'm ms3-pro so I cant play with the voltages I think. Was thinking to "let" it max out and just tune the trim table if need be, or get the PMAS extended range maf.
Is it worth talking to PMAS about it? Surely they might be able to offer some guidance?

James
I'm going to call them and get their thoughts on the matter. Good call!
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

I'm a little late into this.. What's your gram/sec number at 5.0 volts? I think the math is g/s / 0.8 equals HP. 400 g/s / 0.8 equals 500 hp.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
winstonusmc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by winstonusmc »

Right now its about 244 g/s. this is about correct up top, havent spent too much time at that airflow I'm afraid. Just looked at my last log before I took it apart for the suspension upgrade and at the top, its at about 93% of correct. So, 93% of 244g/s is 226g/s and divide that by .8 and this gives me about 280hp. Thats what a stock T3 on an L28ET should yield. This thing should yield over 320g/s at 400hp from the tuners I have talked to.