Engine goes lean, only on downshift (Auto)

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

redmist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Engine goes lean, only on downshift (Auto)

Post by redmist »

I have my car fairly dialed in I think. I can stab the throttle from a stop, and it spins the tires nicely. Free reving is great, car drives great, running through the gears is great... However!

Tonight I stabbed the throttle for the first time at cruise 20MPH or so, and the car downshifted, engine RPM went up, then car just stopped like a fuel cut. Got home, pulled the log and this is what I see.. What is causing this massive lean spike??
1968 Dodge Charger, 446ci 513HP/542ftlbs,Full sequential fuel/Spark using MS3X. Jeep CPS, Ford Crank sensor, 36-1 wheel, Coil near plug with D-585 ls2 coil packs. Edelbrock pro-flo intake, 600cc injectors, GM MAP, TPS, IACV, CTS, MAT. 92mm Throttle Body.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Engine goes lean, only on downshift (Auto)

Post by Matt Cramer »

Check to be sure it's not your fuel pressure dropping.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
rrrobert
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by rrrobert »

fuel surge in tank uncovering pickup?
redmist
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by redmist »

Thats possible I suppose, I am running an Aeromotive phantom 340 setup with the foam and sump that comes with the kit. It should take a long while for it to uncover.

I noticed my VE map goes flat at that exact point in my logs, I scaled it to increase beyond that and will retest.
1968 Dodge Charger, 446ci 513HP/542ftlbs,Full sequential fuel/Spark using MS3X. Jeep CPS, Ford Crank sensor, 36-1 wheel, Coil near plug with D-585 ls2 coil packs. Edelbrock pro-flo intake, 600cc injectors, GM MAP, TPS, IACV, CTS, MAT. 92mm Throttle Body.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

Don't rely on the foam to do anything except plug a fuel filter, especially if you are using fuel in California, I had the foam filled tank and my rear sump pickups lost suction if I applied the brakes to hard.... the foam didn't stop the fuel from moving away from the pickups in my tank, I removed the foam and the fuel returned to the pickups quicker, the datalog looks like its running out of fuel pressure, the other thing is that the lean started happening before the shift point.. did you have an ignition problem, because a rich miss fire will show way lean also and cause the engine to fall on its face for a second.
How full was the fuel tank when this occurred.
Good luck
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.