Engine produces almost half of ogrinal power m104 Mercedes

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jack1127
MS/Extra Newbie

Engine produces almost half of ogrinal power m104 Mercedes

Post by jack1127 »

]Hello dear fellow Megasquirters.
Its been taking me now a long time to get this engine tuned. And i just have a feeling that im doing something totaly not right, thats why im seeking help. There is not very much of people around me that even knows what im talking about when i explain them about this "magic computer" :roll:

my name is Jan and i´m from Iceland and i run MS3X version 1.4

Quick engine specs.
Mercedes 3.2 Liter ,6cyl, M104.99x (original fully sequential engine) that Merecedes-benz engineers tuned to whopping 220 horsepower.
All cylinders make 180psi except cyl. #5 that makes 150psi :?
6 x ls2 truck coils driven by MS3X (4.5 dwell and wasted spark)
6 x 550cc brand new injectors (original were 200cc)
Fuel regulated pressure 50psi, new walbro pump, new fuel lines, new aeromotive fuel filter, Fuel check valve to be fit in later...
Camshaft adjuster kicks in (+10deg) on 2500 rpm and goes out at 5550

First of all i found that i had problems with Map and while being at 50% throttle my map readings would be at 100kpa and the car would just choke and and afr could not be tuned in.
Changed to Aplha-N algorithm... First time got over 5000rpm some progress...
Its on 3 squirts simultaneous right now and i have not tried 6 in aplha-n (i have tried everything in speed-density and car run best on 3 simultaneos)
Tried sequenced batch fire, and i don´t think car run better, the fuel map got pretty funny after that (logs are with batch fire mode on and off)

Advance is flat 42deg starting from 3500 rpm ((engine made once some funny sounds at 45deg (Knock Input 0% at all times))

Did some records with phone dyno, and engine made something ~90hp at ~90km/h and ~5000 rpm (App for Adroid : RaceDroird Pro)

I would appreciate some comment or hint. I´m Just getting a little depressed about all this.

Sincerely yours,

Jan Rolandsson
2015-07-18_00.18.38.msq
2015-07-17_22_modified.msl
2015-07-17_21_modified.msl
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Engine produces almost half of ogrinal power m104 Merced

Post by Matt Cramer »

Why are you using secondary additive fuel and ignition tables? This is going to make tuning harder and is likely giving you more advance than what your engine should be using for best power.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

Large injectors in batch mode isn't likely to help a lot either. Flow rate and dead time measured?
Find the cause of the MAP problem and start over in SD.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I didn't look too hard at the logs, as soon as I saw a lot of running with spark timing in the 70-80 degree range, I knew there is something wrong there! If you set MS for 0 degrees "fixed timing" does a strobe light verify that spark is occurring at TDC all through the rpm range? Use a simple light, not a dial-back type.
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

You have too much dwell for LS1 coils. At 4.3 they will do funny things, Try dropping it to around 2.5 and see if that helps. Also why are you runnig with a flat 42 degree timing. Make sure you have checked timing with a timing light. Set your fixed timing at 10 deg and make sure it lines up with a 10 mark on your front pulley.
After you have done that, rev up the engine and make sure the mark stays at a steady 10 deg.
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

Me too on the "why 42 degrees of timing". Since the engine has variable cam timing it must be a fairly modern design, it would probably like a maximum timing of less than 30 degrees at WOT.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
duxthe1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by duxthe1 »

A respected tuner once told me a M104 wont make any more power past 20 degrees of timing. :o
90 Mercedes 300 TE
3.0L Inline 6, AWD
T-3 turbo @ 11 PSI W/G, 18 PSI MBC, A2W I/C
MS2Extra V3.0, 3.3.2 beta7
60-2 with direct coil control
40 lb/hr high imp, AEM wideband
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

what is the reason for such large injectors, if the factory ones were only 200, then what changes did you make to the rest of the engine to require the larger injectors. high compression, big turbo, huge camshaft? also like everyone else..... wow that's a lot of timing...... Have you done the injector dead time testing and put correct numbers into the megasquirt controller. why 3 squirts, with large injectors wouldn't one squirt simultaneous, or 2 squirts alternating be better, I would use semi sequential or full sequential if you have the cam sensor installed.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
jack1127
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jack1127 »

wow thanks for so many replies!
Matt Cramer wrote:Why are you using secondary additive fuel and ignition
ok so i did go check with timing light and did not understand why my "spark advance" in tunerstudio was showing 70-90... the secondary fuel and ignition is disabled now thanks! ''that was one of the things what i did not understand''
subwoofer wrote:Large injectors in batch mode isn't likely to help...
fuel injectors dead time and voltage offset dialed in yesterday
the reason why 550cc injectors is that the i want to go turbo sooner or later and old injectors did not look good, so i decided to upgrade...(they are not too big for the engine are they?)
old guy wrote:You have too much dwell for LS1 coils. ...
dialed in dwell voltage offset and dwell table, and yes i checked the timing in fixed mode and it held steady up to 4000rpms

funny hah engine produces maximum power at 20degrees WOT and i´m running it at 80 now i understand why it was singing so much trough rpms :shock:

im did set now coil on plug ignition and will go start everything from begging will dial in base timing, offset and will go over everything again

thank you very much for replies i will report later today how it went :) :)
jack1127
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jack1127 »

kaeman wrote: why 3 squirts, with large injectors wouldn't one squirt simultaneous, or 2 squirts alternating be better, I would use semi sequential or full sequential if you have the cam sensor installed.

when i was saying it ran better i was judging on how the idle was... it was much stable and more smooth... i know the inlet cam opens 36 ATDC and im not sure about injector timing table...but this means that in tunerstudio setting would be "Angle Specifies: Beginning of Squirt" ?
fuel supposed to be sprayed in just before valve opens and i know im supposed to try it back and forth with the degrees
so lets say 5deg before the opening... so table would be like 391@ 1000, 431@ 2000, 471@ 3000, and 511@ 4000

05-2210.pdf
jack1127
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jack1127 »

car runs in wasted spark mode but when i choose coil on plug or wasted coil on plug, things start to get funny and car runs like on 5 cylinders...
Settings right now : coil on plug and tunerstudio was showing lost sync reason 2 i think this orginal benz trigger wheel and Vr sensor is not working correct...
i did check timing and it was exactly on TDC...
thats it, im ordering trigger wheel from turbobandit...
2015-07-22_16.59.09.csv
2015-07-22_16.50.41.csv
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

As the car runs in wasted spark, why are you trying those other settings?

Changing those settings also requires that you change your coil wiring.

"Wasted spark" uses three spark outputs for six cylinders.
"Wasted COP" or "coil on plug" uses 6 spark outputs for six cylinders.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jack1127
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jack1127 »

ok im using all 6 spark outputs for coils and all (+) goes into one line, and all (-) goes into one line
so i have to use COP configuration and not wasted spark like i was using.. :RTFM: i did not know that...
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

jack1127 wrote:ok im using all 6 spark outputs for coils and all (+) goes into one line, and all (-) goes into one line
so i have to use COP configuration and not wasted spark like i was using.. :RTFM: i did not know that...
If you were truly running with the wasted spark setting, then that would explain why the engine produced half the power - you were only running on three cylinders ?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jack1127
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jack1127 »

Okay, i guess im retarded... my spark outputs and injector outputs were connected wrong way.. it was 1-2-3-4-5-6 but not like firing order.... 1-5-3-6-2-4

That explains why car didn't run in COP mode but in wasted spark and not on 3 cylinders...

Jan
rhondohslade
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rhondohslade »

I am also wondering if using injectors which have a 150% greater fuel flow might also be causing issues at speeds above idle.
jack1127
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jack1127 »

no im not having any issues idles pretty smooth 950-940 smooth at all speeds and is 20mpg city and 35 highway (y)