Newbie - need help tuning

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

patriotstang
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by patriotstang »

90 mustang 347 w/turbo 60lb inj. I have installed the MSPNP. I have the car running and idling now, however the car will go fuel rich just off idle or tapping the throttle. The car will also accell to roughly 3000 rpms then starts studdering. I have played with the timing, pullng out to alot to almost none. Didnt seem to make much difference. I am not completely understanding the TPS based AE, etc... My MAP base AE will not allow me to make adjustments to it. I am also not sure how to adjust the Accel Enrichment DOT to the TPS dot blend. My first thoughts is I have my timing chart out of wack, but this is where I need the help. Thanks!
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Newbie - need help tuning

Post by elutionsdesign »

Well full rich would be a fuel condition, what are you using for a wide band O2 sensor?
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
patriotstang
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by patriotstang »

Autometer digital wideband, which adjustment exactly do I adjust to lean it out?
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

I'd try and start simpler - lock your timing at 20 degrees, disable acceleration enrichment, and tune your VE table under steady throttle conditions. You should be able to gradually add throttle without pegging rich. Once your base tune is dialed in, begin adding small amounts of acceleration enrichment to keep your AFR steady under faster pedal movements. Stick with purely TPS-based accel at first.

It's common for boosted applications to have timing locked anywhere from 17-25 degrees or so. Get everything else dialed in before you add an additional variable of timing.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/turboch ... d-out.html
patriotstang
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by patriotstang »

Great info, thanks
patriotstang
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by patriotstang »

Adjusted timing to 18, locked it out. I am still a little confused on adjust tp enrichment. Tap the throttle and it still swings full rich. What kind of changes or ranges does the TPS based accel need to be around and then below that graph is the slider for accel enrichment map dot, what is the relationship of adjustment between the two? Does anyone use the auto VE adjustment? How exactly do you add throttle enrichment? Sorry for all the questions!
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

You'll want a solid base tune before you start trying to dial in AE. Turn it off completely and adjust your VE table so that at steady throttle positions you're hitting your AFR target as expected.

From page 66 of the Setting Up manual:
Before you start tuning the acceleration enrichment, make sure your VE tables are dialed in.
Adding a correctly tuned amount of acceleration enrichment to an incorrectly tuned fuel table is still going to
result in an incorrect amount of fuel. Since the acceleration enrichment is stacked on top of the fuel the ECU
is commanding based on the VE table, you’ll want to tune AE last, after you’ve got the solid foundation of a
well tuned VE table under you.
I had good success with the autotune feature. I configured my AFR Target table and spent a few hours over several days driving around with autotune turned on. It adjusts the VE table so that you're hitting your target AFRs.
patriotstang
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by patriotstang »

Forgive my ignorance, how do you turn off the AE?
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

Accel Enrich → Accel Enrichment Settings. Set Low RPM Threshold to 0 and High RPM Threshold to 100rpm.
patriotstang
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by patriotstang »

Do I need ego active?
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

The general consensus is that if you plan to run EGO correction under normal conditions, have it enabled while you're running AutoTune. If you don't plan on using EGO normally, leave it off during AutoTune.
patriotstang
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by patriotstang »

I only have the wideband hooked up. Is it recommended to have it on or off?
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

I chose to keep EGO correction turned off while autotune to reduce the number of factors affecting my fueling.
patriotstang
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by patriotstang »

Ok, I will be headed to a dyno tomorrow for tuning, hopefully all goes well
patriotstang
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by patriotstang »

Timing question, instructions says to remove the spout to lock the initial timing. My car will not start with it out. I used a digital advanced timing light and set it to 20, then aligned balancer to tdc while running. Then I locked the ignition setting to 20. Was that the correct procedure?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

With TFI, your minimum timing is the timing with the SPOUT unplugged plus one degree. You'll want to set it to something more like 10 degrees with SPOUT out.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X