Would adjusting base timing by 2 deg be significant?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

apariah
MS/Extra Newbie

Would adjusting base timing by 2 deg be significant?

Post by apariah »

I've had issues for a while, but I just adjusted my base timing by 2 deg to match 10 fixed in tunerstudio. I've had boost issues since going to sequential injection. I've gone through the vaccum lines and interooler piping, but for whatever reason I missed this. Would adjusting the offset by 2 degrees matter enough to effect boost. Btw I also went from an older version of firmware to 3.3.3 I'm using tunerstudio 2.6.14 with a DIYautotune built MSpnpgen2 based on the microsquirt.

I haven't had time to take the car out for a drive since the adjustment, but I will after I get back home this evening.

The attached msq and log are from the last session before I adjusted the trigger angle offset.
jamies
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Would adjusting base timing by 2 deg be significant?

Post by jamies »

its not making any boost?
whats the vehicle / engine specs?
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

2 degrees might affect boost a little, but it's not going to make a night-and-day difference. If your boost is more than a PSI or two different from before, or spool RPM differs by more than maybe 200, I'd say the problem lies elsewhere.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
jamies
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jamies »

yes but the logs show 105ka - its not making any boost.. there is something not right with the setup and its not the timing
apariah
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by apariah »

The car is a 92 Mazda Miata with a 1.6 and T28 turbocharger.

I will keep looking. Any thoughts on other places to check. I can hear was seems like the turbo releasing pressure after i get off the throttle, but I'm not positive the turbo doesn't have an issue. I've been running it since 2011, and i've had intermittent issues for a while. But the no boost thing didn't happen until after I swapped bumpers and went to sequential injection.
jamies
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jamies »

swapped bumpers?
left a clamp loose on the intercooler pipework ?
no rag left in the pipework?

check over all the pipework from the turbo to the throttle body, somethings either come off or split. if its all ok, pull the inlet off the turbo and check it turns freely etc
apariah
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by apariah »

I checked all the clamps and tightened them a couple of days ago. I will check out the turbo inlet in the morning. I was starting to lean that way. I tried the car early today to see how the timing change would effect boost, and it was actually a little worse. Honestly I'm hoping the turbo is bad, because I have the original turbo from my WRX just sitting in the garage doing nothing.

Just to be through I attached the most recent log and msq.
apariah
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by apariah »

I think I found the issue while checking out the turbo. The intake on the turbo is great, after all these years it really looks good I'm surprised.

I remembered I was having trouble with my current coil over plug setup and decided to see if any of the plugs were loose. I noticed one coil moved more than expected so I pulled the connector with the engine running, and nothing changed. I plugged it back in and no change. So then I pulled the connector on the coil next to it again, no change. So then I tried the next connector, and the engine started to die. I clipped it back in and tried the first cylinder, and again the engine started to die. So, it seems the engine is running on two cylinders only. I'm surprised that it could run on just two cylinders, but clearly it can. The thing I'm not sure about is if this could be a Megasquirter set up issue, a wiring issue, or something else all together. I'm pretty sure its not a coil issue because I just swapped them back and forth and the results were the same. I also tried just starting on the last two cylinders to see if that would work, by plugging the connectors from the front two coils to the rear coils but the car would not start.

I think this is the problem but I'm not sure of the best method to fix it. I could start with wiring, but if it could be a settings issue, I would love to start there. I'm using the Fab9 coil over setup rather than the OEM, coils or the Toyota COPs.
apariah
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by apariah »

With help from Brian of Fab9, we may have the issue sorted out. We will know for sure when the part comes in.
apariah
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by apariah »

The new module came in, the results were exactly the same. No idea where to move on from here. And I cannot easily take the car back to stock, I say that now, because I expect it may be one of the suggested solutions. It seems like I'm only running on the middle two cylinders. I can start and run the car, but if I unplug the first, and or last cylinders and the car runs the same, no change at all.
apariah
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by apariah »

It gave me fits but I finally have the car running on all 4 cylinders. I used the new ignition module, pulled the harness and went over every inch of it. I tested for power and continuity every way that I could and redid the ground. I actually got shocked a couple of times removing the coils from the engine while running. So now I'm working on tuning. It was pretty bad at first but seems a bit better now.