would my O2 sensor be toast? SOLVED

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

would my O2 sensor be toast? SOLVED

Post by Tinkers Toy »

I'm running MS3/MS3X on a v12 Mercedes. I have an Innovate LC1 wideband setup for AFR. I had been daily driving for over a year with good success. suddenly the engine started to run extremely rich on one side of the block. I finally found the issue to be a pinched and grounded injector wire. Since I'm running wasted fuel that means two of the injectors were constantly injecting fuel. There was so much fuel being pumped into the engine and ultimately into the exhaust that a puddle formed on the ground right below where my O2 sensor is mounted, the sensor is mounted in the top of the pipe so it would not have been in the puddle of fuel in the exhaust pipe. Now that I have things fixed I'm wondering if that rich and flooded situation would have killed my O2 sensor? I recalibrated it outside the exhaust pipe but the readings seem odd. Before, the readings used to jump around a bit. Now the readings seem sluggish and surprisingly stable, even when I stab the gas. What do you think?
Last edited by Tinkers Toy on Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: would my O2 sensor be toast?

Post by Matt Cramer »

It may have a bit of carbon buildup - if the sensor appears to be trashed, you can sometimes burn the carbon deposits off with a propane torch. May not always work, but you don't have much to lose.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Not sure what vintage of LC1 you have there, and not to dis a supported product - but mine developed serious issues a number of years back and I figured it was telling me to install a new sensor. However, Alan over @ 14.7 tested the Bosch type sensor and it was fully functional and accurate. I have it coupled to one of his 14.7 gauge packages which is really cost effective and compact. I also have an Inovate "MTX-L" which I feel works hands down better than the LC1 ever did.
Again, not sure if that product has been upgraded and is now better.
Just an opinion,
Lorne.
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tinkers Toy »

thanks for the support and ideas. really is hard to trust your tune if you don't have faith in that gauge. right now I keep checking the plugs but with 12 of them it's a chore to look at them all. I didn't see much carbon on the sensor just a little sooty. I know the heater is working because it was hot to the touch after calibration. anyone ever try brake clean to clean it up?
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

Do you have a diode hooked up?

If not do so, it will flash different number sequences for trouble shooting.

David

edit: wording
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Tinkers Toy wrote:thanks for the support and ideas. really is hard to trust your tune if you don't have faith in that gauge. right now I keep checking the plugs but with 12 of them it's a chore to look at them all. I didn't see much carbon on the sensor just a little sooty. I know the heater is working because it was hot to the touch after calibration. anyone ever try brake clean to clean it up?
Yes to brake clean, and propane torch etc. all without success. Also, I had a diode indicator on the dash that provided some error code provision (if I remember correctly it may have been "error 7" but that didn't really lead anywhere, including firmware upgrades and what not back then). However (and not to come across as a broken record) my LC1 (purchased in about 2009) would not work with the "couple of year old" sensor, & same sensor works fine with other kits.
Rant over.
Lorne.
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

R100RT wrote:
Tinkers Toy wrote:thanks for the support and ideas. really is hard to trust your tune if you don't have faith in that gauge. right now I keep checking the plugs but with 12 of them it's a chore to look at them all. I didn't see much carbon on the sensor just a little sooty. I know the heater is working because it was hot to the touch after calibration. anyone ever try brake clean to clean it up?
Yes to brake clean, and propane torch etc. all without success. Also, I had a diode indicator on the dash that provided some error code provision (if I remember correctly it may have been "error 7" but that didn't really lead anywhere, including firmware upgrades and what not back then). However (and not to come across as a broken record) my LC1 (purchased in about 2009) would not work with the "couple of year old" sensor, & same sensor works fine with other kits.
Rant over.
Lorne.
Code 9 is a bad sensor, I had this code replaced the sensor and works correctly now.

FYI if the sensor is free air calibrated to the correct schedule the sensor will work correctly for a long time, this has to be done.

You can go to there web site and down load there manual for all information.

The one I changed was in the car for 5 years, good life for a turbo car. :)

The Bosch direct fit part number is 17014, $45.00 to $65.00.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tinkers Toy »

Solved, the catalytic converters were completely plugged causing all sorts of issues. I removed them with a test pipe and now everything is working perfectly. the LC1 is working perfectly and auto tune quickly dialed in the tune. this thing must have been plugged up since the day I bought it but there were so many other issues to resolve I just never realized it.