Knock or not?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

imaplt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Knock or not?

Post by imaplt »

99 Miata FI 12PSI stock injectors, 2001 block. MSDIY
I am trying to do a basic tune before I take it to a dyno shop and I was out doing a tune drive. Slow speed and loads it runs decent however when approaching boost it bogs down like it won't go into boost. The other issue is that when I started to go above 60 the knock indicator in TS started to flash. I could not hear it or sense it and it was not lean and adding fuel or retarding timing has no affect. So the question is how do I know that it was actually knocking? I had the AFR set at around 13-13.5. BTW, i have a reflashed ECU that I have been using and the car it runs great except way rich. Since I cannot update the map I am switching to the MS.

I am attaching the log file from my run today as well as my msq. Any insights or help on the knock question as well as the boost would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
imaplt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Knock or not?

Post by imaplt »

Some additional info. I was going through the datalog and you can really see what I am talking about at about 8580.00s. The indications are that it is running smooth but you can clearly see the knock sensor going nuts. Looking at it this way I am wondering if it is the sensor? I did not adjust the sensitivity when I built it as I could not see any easy way to do that. If it needs adjusting how do I do that? The other thing I am curious about is the CLT fluctuation. Is that normal?

Thanks!
mschlang
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mschlang »

If I'm looking at your msq correctly you are using an on/off knock input? How is your knock sensor wired in?
1991 Talon AWD turbo
imaplt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by imaplt »

It is the stock knock sensor on the Miata. I would have to look at the diagram to see how it is handled in the DIYPNP. There is a sensitivity adjustment but no instructions on how to set it. How do others determine if there is a knock present? Sound or other engine indications?

Thanks
mschlang
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mschlang »

I'm not an expert, but I have used a microphone mounted on the engine to listen for knock.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-foru ... llars.html

Check out post #3 to hear what knock sounds like. My original set up was lost, I'm in the process of build a new one similar to the one above.

Something I haven't tried is feeding the knock signal into my laptop. http://www.efi101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7972
1991 Talon AWD turbo
imaplt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by imaplt »

Wow, thank you! I will check it out!