Ignition Table Switching and Microsquirt V2

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Ignition Table Switching and Microsquirt V2

Post by R100RT »

Perhaps a nobish question here, I am working with a V2 (older) version of Microsquirt and am wondering if I have any simple options towards ignition table switching (between "Ign1" & "Ign3") utilizing a manual external on/off switch?
The manuals describe "Expansion Board" usage along with enablement of "CAN Parameters" (example on the Table Switching Control menu on TS is "Remote Port 3 Bit_ (0 through 7 choice))
Is this even possible for V2, if so is an exansion board mandetory where one on/off event is desired, or is there a means to organize the signal via existing circuitry?
This relates to usage of different octane levels of fuel while on trips. The Flex fuel options don't really seem to offer usage of alternate ignition map strategy that would be advantageous.
Any feedback appreciated.
Lorne
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Ignition Table Switching and Microsquirt V2

Post by dontz125 »

I'm not sure where you're lost -the FLEX pin *is* available to be used for Table Switch in the later FW (3.3.3 and on). Just a point of pedantry; spark table swapping is IGN1 to IGN2.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

dontz125 wrote:I'm not sure where you're lost -the FLEX pin *is* available to be used for Table Switch in the later FW (3.3.3 and on). Just a point of pedantry; spark table swapping is IGN1 to IGN2.
Don, I know I stated "any feedback appreciated", but your predictable pedantics not so much so.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Don's recommendation may have been incomplete, but it is a pointer in the right direction. If the Flex input is not tied up with something else and you are on the current firmware, you can run a switch from Flex to Sensor Ground and enable it as a spark table switching input under the Table Switching menu. If it's not showing up in your current firmware, upgrade the firmware to 3.4.0 and it will be available.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Thank you as always Matt - that is something that I (or any other reader of varying degree of product knowledge) would be able to assimilate & the basis for my uncharacteristic terse response).
I spend a fair bit of my time promoting what we're doing here on other forums and the common theme - people feel the product is too complex and the learning curve not worth the embarrassment factor.
Lorne
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

R100RT wrote:Thank you as always Matt - that is something that I (or any other reader of varying degree of product knowledge) would be able to assimilate & the basis for my uncharacteristic terse response).
I spend a fair bit of my time promoting what we're doing here on other forums and the common theme - people feel the product is too complex and the learning curve not worth the embarrassment factor.
Lorne
It is a pity that those people do not read on this forum.
They would see that every question will be treated seriously.

They miss an opportunity to learn something.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Perhaps it might be worth emphasizing / gently pointing out that wiring and configuring an ECU (regardless of make or model) is a very different skill set than installing the EFI hardware. I like to think I have some degree of skill with electronics, but I wouldn't want to jump straight in to something like plumbing up a carbed V8 with ITBs without some serious research (and hopefully an experienced buddy as well)! :RTFM: :shock:

You go to the Ford site for hints and tips on 5L Mustangs; you go to the MSExtra site for hints and tips on MicroSquirts ...
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Its a rainy weeked out here on the West Coast - perfect opportunity to download the latest 3.4.0 firmware for a try.
I'm rather initially impressed scrolling through the screens and upgraded format - previous to doing a ride to confirm transition of settings. (thank you James and others).
And for a casual "gentle" comment if I might emphasize my original question - I'm happy to observe the following:
a) the hardware choice allows a manual switch on dash for spark table choice.
b) that enables spark table switching from Spk1+2 to Spk3 alone.

:D