good strategy for adjusting VE table

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

niaugi
MS/Extra Newbie

good strategy for adjusting VE table

Post by niaugi »

is this a good strategy adjusting VE table or could you give me a better way?

1) make AFR table

2)settings:
* EGO control: ON (covering whole MAP/TPS)
* TPS based Accel Enrichment: 0

run for a test drive with Tune Analyze Live: ON
smooth throttle changes (avoiding lean/rich spikes)
after
smoothing big differences in VE table manually (where Analyze Live did not get to)

3)settings:
* EGO control: OFF
* Incorporate AFR Target: OFF

another test drive, looking at Wideband lambda reading (gauge) and fine adjusting VE map manually (trying to get exact 14.7 ratio everywhere)
AFR Target off, because it is easier to notice changes if i expect to see 14.7 everywhere.

4)
finally:
* EGO control: ON
* Incorporate AFR target: ON
run test drive, analyze logs if EGO correction is more than a few % adjust wrong cells manually

5)
having fun.
Alfa Romeo 146 1.7 16v & 1.6 8v boxers
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: good strategy for adjusting VE table

Post by Rick Finsta »

If you're going to use AFR Target, then turn it on before anything else and don't turn it off.

VEAL works with AE and EGO on - just drive. Avoid lots of AE at first but VEAL is taking enrichments into account.

Seriously just get your AFR table setup (use the table generator if you don't know where to start) and then drive around in as many different load conditions as you can (safely and legally) with VEAL running. Then smooth things out and you're ready for the track/dyno for the final bits you couldn't get to on the street.
niaugi
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by niaugi »

ok, i got it.
tried yesterday to tune it manually while driving - mission impossible.
so now after Analyzer Live and logging whole test drive i adjust/smooth VE table looking at MegaLogViewer Histogram and inc/dec VE number if AFR in Histogram is too rich/lean according to my AFR table.
after i should drive again and see differences again

one thing i don't get it:
AFR sometimes does not catch AFR target number, for example while idling target is 14.4, but AFR is jumping around ~15, EGO correction authority is 100%, but it tries only a few % to lower it.
the same happens when cruising too, AFR target is 15.5, but AFR ~16.3, EGO correction 103%.
using EGO PID mode:
25/5/0

maybe this is not perfect PID and should try other combinations? (tried a few, this was the best stable)

EDIT:
found a wonderful explanation how to tune PID, will try today:
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 12#p301998

would be happy if anyone would find something in my logs i should fix.
Alfa Romeo 146 1.7 16v & 1.6 8v boxers
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

I was gonna ask if you were using PID. Generally to stay out of trouble you might want to drop the EGO authority down to 5-10%. VEAL isn't limited by the EGO authority, it has its own setting (cell change resistance).