MSPNP '91 Celica all trac

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

alexofnazareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MSPNP '91 Celica all trac

Post by alexofnazareth »

We will be hooking up the MS to the vehicle tomorrow afternoon. My question is if there is any difference between this and a normal MS3?

I take it that all of the same settings are available with the MSPNP using tunerstudio. Unless there is a guide that they haven't shown me for the thing.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MSPNP '91 Celica all trac

Post by Matt Cramer »

The only MSPNP we have for this car is based on the MS2, so you would use the MS2/Extra setting up and TunerStudio reference manuals. There is also an MSPNP reference manual here:

http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/docs/mspnp ... &isModel=2
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
alexofnazareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by alexofnazareth »

After some searching, I take it that the 24-1 toothed cam wheel needs "some" additional work in order to make it work with the MSPNP?
I didn't see a setting for it under spark mode in TunerStudio. This thread has details of some of the trials and errors of trying to get the stock system to play ball with the MS.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... &start=100

Or am I overlooking something simple?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Yes, you're overlooking that nobody in that thread had an MSPNP. :D Seriously, there's been a good deal learned about how to make this work in the past four years.

The MSPNP works with the stock distributor. It's a variant of the generic Toothed Wheel mode and the base tune is already set up for it. There is currently only one MSPNP that requires mods to the stock distributor or CAS (that would be the model for the SR20DET), and we include the parts necessary and directions with it.
alexofnazareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by alexofnazareth »

Derp. Well I guess this is loads easier than I imagined. I've only used your normal MS2 and MS3 units previously with no experience with PNP.

Whoever bought this bailed on the team and no one knew anything about the d*** thing! lol

So its already setup with a base tune on the ECU? That eliminates the MS as a source for the "not starting" issue.

They installed the JDM [ST205?] motor in the vehicle with the matching ECU. It will run briefly on that and die, from what I'm told.

I'll go see everything first hand and come back with more conclusive, 1st person experience on these issues. Thanks for all the assistance!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It would have shipped with a base tune - could be they erased it for some reason. If you don't have the CD or USB drive that shipped with it, you can get the tune from megasquirtpnp.com.
alexofnazareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by alexofnazareth »

We will probably try DLing the tune to see if that is to blame first. The vehicle barely tries to fire with the OE ECU. It does not try to fire with the MSPNP.

Ive got a data log of this condition. We are not getting any tach, PW, or ign signals.

It doesn't help that this vehicle is a derelict, but for some reason we can't get any tach signal with the MS. I'll upload these files in a couple hours.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Also please post a composite log. This will show what RPM signal is getting to the MSPNP.
bradyzq
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bradyzq »

The distributors in those cars, actually the cam sensors in the distributor, can get flaky. IME, the stock ECU can usually keep an engine running longer than a standalone if the crank/cam signals are weakening.

Of course it could be a million other things, but you might want to test the dizzy.
Cheers, Brady
Audi 4kq MS1E,
Audi Quattro, 034 IIc
Audi 200qa20v
Audi 5ktqa
Datsun 240Z
alexofnazareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by alexofnazareth »

Here are the msq and log files
2015-09-29_19.00.26.msl
Celica_Rally_tune.msq
The log was just of the vehicle being cranked for a while. My teammate was playing with the maps sensor or something in an attempt to coax it to start, but I dont think it was getting any spark.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It's not registering RPM. First try reloading the base tune, then if that doesn't work, get a composite log from the Diagnostic menu and post it here. That is a special purpose log for RPM issues.
alexofnazareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by alexofnazareth »

Hello guys,

I tried to record something on the composite logger and trigger wheel logger, but nothing showed up. Its not seeing any type of RPM signal.

I followed the advice of uploading the current tune onto the MS, however that yielded some interesting results. We go warnings and errors when we loaded the MSQ [75 warnings]. See below:
mspnp1.PNG
mspnp2.PNG
mspnp3.PNG
From here I tried to update the firmware on the controller since it was probably out of date.

[Post 1 of 3]
alexofnazareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by alexofnazareth »

mspnp5.PNG
Here is the cmd window for the firmware update ^

We believed that the controller successfully received the update and were ready to load the msq back onto it.
mspnp6.PNG
However we received another list of errors for this updated firmware [See next post]

Post [2 of 3]
alexofnazareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by alexofnazareth »

mspnp7.PNG
mspnp8.PNG
mspnp9.PNG
This time we received 31 warnings and another signature error.

I expect that none of this is desirable and is probably causing the problems with the RPM signal if the settings are not matching like they should.

Sorry for the information overload. I appreciate the continued support.

[Post 3 of 3]
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Use the 3.3.1 base map with 3.4.0 code, not the 3.2.1 map.