Problems with getting help.

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

AATopFuel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Problems with getting help.

Post by AATopFuel »

I need a little help here. My life has been a nightmare for the last 6 years my son has almost died 3 times and now is doing better after all the surgeries 4th time in the hospital this year, the surgeons are just brutal. So, I'm frustrated to the hilt and I really need to get my Mustang running. Been trying since the first of the year. I don't like putting power to anything until I have reasonable belief that I won't destroy anything. I could use a basic tune for my car at least to look at it line by line to see how I compare. A Miata guy on you tube got me to this point, so I made it here. I am not a tuner, I build with Carbs and Mechanical Fuel Injection, I don't know anything about this stuff though. I can see that this can work real good for me if I can get it to work. I build Super Street and Super Gas Cars and I am looking to go to Comp next year and I would like to use this, if I can get pass and learning curve. So, I have a 1981 Mustang 2.3L, 4 Speed vehicle, with an 84 T-Bird turbo head, 87 Mustang Intake Manifold that I welded some tabs on it and spun it forward to face the front of the car for easy hookup to an Inter-cooler. I custom built the Header for it and it has a 67mm Turbo on it. I plastic welded a Cam Sensor on the Timing Belt Cover and I am using a TFI Distributor for the spark and I purchased some Hi-Impedance fuel Injectors. I bought from DIY Autotune Everything they said that I would need Boost Control, GM MAT Sensor, all the wiring, LM-2, and MS3X/V3.57. I am using the MS3X for the fuel with Full Sequential Timing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, JBL
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Problems with getting help.

Post by jsmcortina »

Depending on your time and budget, it might be worth calling DIYAutoTune to book a training / consultancy session. Or see the "find a tuner" section for other local tuners that could give hands-on assistance.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Sorry to hear of misfortunes with your son and hope all goes well. Just spent the weekend working in my cluttered shop with my son (home from school) and can't describe how proud to pass on the torch & watch the growth.
+1 what James said (Matt and the guys always helpful to the max @ DIYA) plus just encouragement to use the manuals when possible (it really does sink in - that coming from someone who always trys it first before reading the fine print). That learning is a large part of the fun and "therapy" I feel.
Posting specifics here will always bring solutions too.
Lorne
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

It isn't clear to me what your present MS problem is. Have you tried to start the engine, but it won't? Do you have the install all completed, but are afraid to try starting it? Are you lost in the install, don't know quite what wire goes where? Do you have any MSQ at all (post it), or do you really need something to begin with?
AATopFuel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by AATopFuel »

Yea, I have been a little reluctant to start it because I have to much in it to blow it up. But in the spirit of Lorne a gave it try today and nothing went boom, so that's a relief. However, the injectors are pouring out fuel pretty badly. The LM-2 says that the fuel ratio is 7.4 to 7.7 AFR range. I pulled the spark plugs out and they are black so it's time to stop and find out why. If it were a carb or a MFI system I would know what to do, but this is not that. Maybe there is some therapy to this after all. The three books on this are seven hundred pages long, in which did not exist when I started this. Now where do I go at this point. At 59 almost 60 years of age I think that I am doing pretty good with this, I was pretty progressive as a kid, I've done stuff you wouldn't believe, life can through you some curve balls. I have designed some cars that you'll never see, I have a son that just turned twenty one and I thank God for that. I guess what I am saying is that I am slowing down and I really hate it, growing old is not for wimps. I am also saying that I am not a Millennium Kid, and you guys that are have it a little easier in one sense but harder in another. You are given all the beginnings of what my generation has done, but now you have to take it and run with it. I would say good luck with it, run hard and don't give up.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

All your hard learned knowledge will be invaluable. Even though there are now electronics and computers involved, the engine is still burning fuel just like it always did.

To get online support here you'll need to upload your tune and a datalog. See the "Forum help page" for details on that.
Start with the "Setting Up" manual.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
AATopFuel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by AATopFuel »

Thank you James. I don't know if my brain is just shutting down or what? The settings book is what I need. I know that I make things harder than they are in my head, but usually I get good results when I'm done. Time to read.
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

pm sent