couple of AE questions

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

couple of AE questions

Post by Yves »

I have a SBC engine on ITB's and ms3 sequential.

So far I have not had much succes with a correct AE setting.

Initially I only used tps based AE (time based) What I saw was much the same the problem with tuning the VE tables on map only. AE wasn't cutting in at low throttle openings, causing a severe lean condition which was mostly there when coming of decel and opening the throttle a little to accelerate again. I was experiencing heavy backfiring through the exhaust.
I then tried a combination of mapdot ae with tpsdot ae (50% map/50% tp) and tried to get the correct numbers for the amount of fuel to be injected. This certainly cured the backfiring (farting) in the exhaust and prevented the engine from really leaning out (+19:1) on small throttle openings.

The issue was however that the ae came in too late, still causing a lean condition upon acceleration. I tried setting the mapdot and tpsdot thresholds as low as possible but even so, I'm still experiencing the problem.

I think this is because of the massive amount of air going into the engine when cracking the engine slightly.

Would the accel-pump enrichtment option be better suited to combat this ?
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: couple of AE questions

Post by kaeman »

I was having ae issues with my itb small block chevy, I ended up turning off the accel enrichment and fine tuned the ve tables, the problem I was having was stumble on hard acceleration from idle, I found out that I was getting too much fuel, turned off the enrichment by setting the tps value to something like 1% at 240, 2% at 480, 3 % at 850 and 4% at 1200 tpsdot. then the accel enrich almost never triggered, what I found was that my fuel tables in the low rpm high load areas were way too rich, auto-tune kept adding fuel to a rich misfire that showed up as a lean spike when first stabbing the throttle. when I got the fuel removed from the ve table in those areas the engine accelerated great and without the lean spike in the o2 sensor readings.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

The farting was certainly not a rich misfire problem.
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

Would the accel-pump enrichtment option be better suited to combat this ?

Give it a try and see.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

I have had good luck with the accel pump option on larger itbs.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

does that react faster in use ?
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

Yves wrote:does that react faster in use ?

Not sure, I am using an older firmware that does not have time based option.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

You can also try the WOT as percent TPS table and see if that helps?
eekoog
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by eekoog »

Hello Yves,

Have you solved your problem ? Cause i am having the exact same problem with a rotary engine with very short intake on ITBs.
Please if you got it solved, please answer me cause i have been fighting for month with this thing...

Vous pouvez m'écrire en français, je suis basé à Lyon.

Merci merci merci :roll:

Maxime
Success story : Mazda rotary engine 13b peripheral ported, microsquirt V2, full alpha-n.

In the works : Volvo 240 4cyl 2.3, Holset HY35 and MS3x
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Eekoog

:msq:

Andy
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

see http://www.nbs-stl.com/CrxTypeR/3%20Sec ... ocross.png

The difference between the Duty Cycle Base and Duty Cycle1 on the second trace is the AE

The spikes at the bottom at the cylinder one at TDC to give me an idea of the number of ignition events that the AE is active. That data is taken at 100 samples per sec.

Andy
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

eekoog wrote:Hello Yves,

Have you solved your problem ? Cause i am having the exact same problem with a rotary engine with very short intake on ITBs.
Please if you got it solved, please answer me cause i have been fighting for month with this thing...

Vous pouvez m'écrire en français, je suis basé à Lyon.

Merci merci merci :roll:

Maxime
Maxime,

This is already a while back.

Under control is not the word actually. It's better, but not where I would like it. I think the backfiring through the exhaust is mainly caused by a very high vacuum on decel sucking off all the wall fuel which doesn't burn and subsequently burns in the exhaust when cracking the throttles open a bit. I first just activated the EAE which helped some but didn't totally cure it. I now have set the steps of my IAC valve to a minimum of 5 as to allow some air to get in there to reduce the vacuum a bit. May need to fine tune that though.

I also have a lot of AE tuned in at higher dot. I have less peaks at serious acceleration. Still get lean spikes on small throttle openings, especially after coming from a decel.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

whittlebeast wrote:see http://www.nbs-stl.com/CrxTypeR/3%20Sec ... ocross.png

The difference between the Duty Cycle Base and Duty Cycle1 on the second trace is the AE

The spikes at the bottom at the cylinder one at TDC to give me an idea of the number of ignition events that the AE is active. That data is taken at 100 samples per sec.

Andy
I don't see any field that allows me to display duty cycle base nor ignition events. Maybe you can explain this a little ?
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

To get Duty Cycle Base, you need to log Fuel: Accel enrich

then you use the formula

100*[Duty Cycle1]/[Fuel: Accel enrich]

Regarding TDC, you open your tuner studio project, then under <File> <Vehicle Properties> <Project Properties> <Settings> <Internal_Log_Fields> <activated>

Now you will get the ability to log all sorts of new things.

Pick next_spark.tooth as a logged field

now create a new field in MLV

TDC

and define it with the formula

[next_spark.tooth]>17?1:0

I realize it really is not TDC but work with me here... Note that it only works at high data rates like 100 to 350 samples per sec. Also note that these new exposed fields are used by the developers to debug SW and are all totally undocumented. They can change at any time as what they do or mean based on what the developers are working on in the code. Keep in mind that you don't have griping rights if some field you are playing with changes logic or even disappears.

Have fun tuning.

Andy
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

What's the 17?1:0

I just read your thread on mlv datalogging. Great thinking there, but I need to let some of the things sink in.
Did you ever wonder if a scatterplot with a fourth field would be worth it (3D ? )
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

That is an if statement in mega log viewer that may change with your ignition setup
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

whittlebeast wrote:That is an if statement in mega log viewer that may change with your ignition setup
Ok, but in that case what does 17 and 1 refer to ?
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

whittlebeast wrote:see http://www.nbs-stl.com/CrxTypeR/3%20Sec ... ocross.png

Andy
Andy,

Did some evaluations. Thanks for this. This does seem to be meaningful. I'm going to try out some settings.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

For some reason I don't seem to be able to log the next_spark.tooth...
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

What code version?