Help on CLI Startup Tuning

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

twelvexs
MS/Extra Newbie

Help on CLI Startup Tuning

Post by twelvexs »

Hello. Fairly new to MS, but have been learning and have a successful running build with a seemingly well running tune so far using auto-tune and some manual tweaking.

Wanting to get into closed-loop idle so that I can more accurately control the car warm-up cycle.

After warmup, the close-loop idle seems to actually work as expected. I enter CLI every time after throttle close, and the controller seems to drive the engine to the CLI target quickly-could be better, but OK for now I think.

My issue, and question, is upon startup after the engine gets out of cranking and begins to run, I get significant swings in the RPM, IAC Idle duty, and then it hangs steady state with the engine RPM increasing beyond the commanded CLI target until I turn off the engine, restart (sometimes twice), then it actually starts to work as I expect.

Attached is a log and my tune for the car.

Log starts at 712.1 s
Engine lights off at 732.9 s
From there the RPM begins to oscillate between 1400 and ~500 RPM all the way to 761.1 s
- Idle duty also starts to oscillate
After 761.1s, the Idle duty 'locks', then engine RPM increases steadily to ~1600 RPM at 813.9 where I shut engine off

At 830.6, I do a restart, then from that point forward, the engine and associates parameters seem to slowly decent to where it locks into the CLI target.

As I said, I'm fairly new but hopefully someone can provide some insight here. I'm open to suggestions as to the CLI PID parameters, targets, ect.

Thanks.
1990 Mustang LX, 347, 10.87:1, SCAT, Mahle, RHS Pro Action 200CC/58cc (txs Boyette's Automotive), Comp XFI236HR-14, I-236/E-248 @ .050 w/ .579 lift, Super Victor EFI, GZ Sportsman Pump, LS2 CNP, 1-5/8" -> 1-3/4" step headers, MS3x

It ain't the biggest, nor the baddest, but it's mine!!
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Help on CLI Startup Tuning

Post by turbo conversion »

In your log I am seeing rpm increase with out PWM duty increase, this makes me think your idle VE table needs to be tuned.

Also your warm up enrichment curve is all over the place, it should start with higher numbers cold and taper down as it warms up.

You will also need to tune your after start enrichment, that will stop it from trying to stall as soon as it starts.

You need to get a stable idle and a good warm up enrichment with PWM warm up before you attempt closed loop.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
twelvexs
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by twelvexs »

@turbo conversion

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the points. I noted the PWM duty seemed locked, which didn't make sense. I'm not using the idle VE table-currently not enabled in the tune. Maybe it was my mistake in reading, but I thought the idle VE table was if one wanted a 'different' VE for that area of the map, however it it's used in conjunction with CLI, then maybe it makes sense to turn it on.

When in that region of the map, the controller uses the main VE table, then when CLI is engaged, switches to the Idle VE table? Is that the accepted way to make it work once I get there? Are the values in the Idle VE drastically different than in the main table?

Agreed, by WE curve is now messed up. I had it working well and a nice descending curve, but mistakenly let the auto-tune get in there this morning and when it started oscillating it got way out of whack. That needs to be corrected, I agree.

At this point, I probably need to return to open loop and retune the open-loop warmup and get those back in shape as they were before.
1990 Mustang LX, 347, 10.87:1, SCAT, Mahle, RHS Pro Action 200CC/58cc (txs Boyette's Automotive), Comp XFI236HR-14, I-236/E-248 @ .050 w/ .579 lift, Super Victor EFI, GZ Sportsman Pump, LS2 CNP, 1-5/8" -> 1-3/4" step headers, MS3x

It ain't the biggest, nor the baddest, but it's mine!!
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

What I am talking about is the idle VE in the main VE table needing tuning.

The other idle VE table is for a little more fine tuning of the idle but get the main table tuned first.

This should be done with PWM warm up enabled not closed loop.

You need to do this with the engine completely warmed up first them move on to warm up enrichment and after start enrichment.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd