Help! attempting first start right now, but...

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Help! attempting first start right now, but...

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

My coolant gauge is reading 11 deg F and MAT is at 27 F. It's about 60 degrees ambient and I warmed the car up before installing the MS. Not sure where to calibrate these sensors. Not seeing it in the manual.

Thanks!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Help! attempting first start right now, but...

Post by billr »

Look in "Tools" at the top of the TunerStudio page.
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to unlock the calibrations. Oops.
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

It started once I calibrated the thermistors, just idles really, really poorly and wont rev. Got some work to do.
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

It idles well enough for now, but it wont really rev past 2k rpm. Chugs, sputters, backfires out the exhaust (not intake). Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Get a light and check your timing matches up to what the ecu is commanding. What type of ignition is it? msq just says basic trigger.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

Stock TFI on a 1990 mustang 5.0L
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

Did you also calibrate the TPS & AFR?
Your AFR is going up to & past 22.3. Don't know why it's going so lean.
Nothing in your tune looks out of order. Look for something mechanical or electrical on the vehicle.
Look at fuel pressure at idle & under load. Things seem to indicate a problem with the FPR and/or fuel pump; pretty common on these old Fox Bodies.
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

Blown88GT wrote:Did you also calibrate the TPS & AFR?
Your AFR is going up to & past 22.3. Don't know why it's going so lean.
Nothing in your tune looks out of order. Look for something mechanical or electrical on the vehicle.
Look at fuel pressure at idle & under load. Things seem to indicate a problem with the FPR and/or fuel pump; pretty common on these old Fox Bodies.
I made sure the car was in perfect running order before switching the ECMs. That's why I'm stumped.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Did you check the timing with a light yet? Did you disturb the dizzy in any manner during the MS install?
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

Did you check timing to match what the Ecu says did you calibrate your tps and afr
98 VW golf gti vr6 turbo 8:5:1 cr ported and polished full ferrea race valves train 276 cams custom short runner intake Borge 366 sx-e turbo forge wossner pistons, balanced rotating mass, limited slip 6 speed deka 750Lbs injectors on ms3pro completed AWD swap
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

I set base timing at 10 degrees last weekend when I initially installed and also set trigger offset to 10. I calibrated TPS, MAT, CLT, and wideband sensors. Im thinking that I may put the stock computer back in and see if I am still having a problem. If so, I can say that it is not MS related.
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

I should also say that I re-installed the base tune after trying several from someone else am am having the same problems regardless. Here is the latest. Will report back after re-installing stock computer.
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

My wideband is FUBAR. Specifically self inflicted. That's at least part of the problem and I'm going to work on that tomorrow. I'm using an LC-1 and am using the wrong output and wrong setting in TS. The defaults in TS for LC-1 don't match what's in the isntructions from Innovate, so can I use the custom linear setting when calibrating?
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

So ms reads the same as your timing light?
98 VW golf gti vr6 turbo 8:5:1 cr ported and polished full ferrea race valves train 276 cams custom short runner intake Borge 366 sx-e turbo forge wossner pistons, balanced rotating mass, limited slip 6 speed deka 750Lbs injectors on ms3pro completed AWD swap
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

nathanhardy wrote:So ms reads the same as your timing light?
Timing light shows 10 deg at idle, same is in trigger offset.
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

Hoopty5.0 wrote:My wideband is FUBAR. Specifically self inflicted. That's at least part of the problem and I'm going to work on that tomorrow. I'm using an LC-1 and am using the wrong output and wrong setting in TS. The defaults in TS for LC-1 don't match what's in the isntructions from Innovate, so can I use the custom linear setting when calibrating?
If you look at it closer, they do match. One goes 0-5V, the other goes 1-4V, which is why the values are different.
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

Hoopty5.0 wrote:I should also say that I re-installed the base tune after trying several from someone else am am having the same problems regardless. Here is the latest. Will report back after re-installing stock computer.
Your EGO Control is set to Narrow Band.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I'm still confused about whether the spark timing is correct. I don't mean to be badgering you about this, I know it has been "asked and answered" already; but it is really important that spark timing be correct, so I would rather get further clarification than have us wander in the weeds here.

Set spark timing for "fixed advance" and choose a convenient value. It is presently set for 20 deg, but 0 is also usually convenient, and it sounds like you have a timing mark on the engine at 10 BTDC; any of those can be used. Then, start the engine and verify that the light shows the same advance as that set for "fixed advance". What you see on the engine with the light either matches that "fixed advance" value or it doesn't; the "trigger offset" is irrelevant for this check.
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

Blown88GT wrote:
Hoopty5.0 wrote:I should also say that I re-installed the base tune after trying several from someone else am am having the same problems regardless. Here is the latest. Will report back after re-installing stock computer.
Your EGO Control is set to Narrow Band.
Yeah I caught that this morning and has since been fixed. I also figured out I have an MTX-L and not an LC-1 (fuzzy memory as it was bought a few years ago.) Anyway, I hooked back up to the yellow wire, input the recommended voltages under the custom linear wideband setting in the calibration window and voila, the AFR gauge is finally correct in MS.