Traction Control "Light output"

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Traction Control "Light output"

Post by Laminar »

I see this feature popped up recently and had a couple of questions on traction control in general.

First, the "Enable Input." Is this a pulsed or switched input?

Second, I was hoping for a little clarification beyond the light output tooltip, "Light output when traction is active."

I assume this means when traction control is activated, the light is turned on. Does anything happen when traction control kicks in I.E. light flash?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Traction Control "Light output"

Post by grom_e30 »

enable input is a on or off type switch, and the light only lights when traction is active and trying to stop slip.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

That's good info - I can wire a lighted on/off switch to the Megasquirt to enable traction control, then wire the light output to a spare bulb on my gauge pod to flash when TC is active. Perfect.
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

Another question - I'm using 'Nitrous In' as my TC enable input. Is there any way to tell if traction control is enabled? I don't see an indicator to tell me if TC is on or off.

Assuming there's no indicator in TS, I used a lighted switch so that the switch itself will tell me if TC is on or off.]

For testing purposes, is there a way to read the status of the 'Nitrous In' input to ensure that signal is coming through?

When the switch is turned on, 'Nitrous In' gets +12V. JP8 on the MS3X is removed, the JS9 to S12C wire is in place on the main board.

In TS Special Options, Nitrous-In Pulldown is turned on. The tooltip says it should be turned on for that channel to respond to a +12V input.

Does it sound as though everything is configured correctly?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

Enable port status in your project properties, then right click on an indicator and select output channel and select 'porth7' the indicator should show the state of the input, on when the input is high and off when the input is low (grounded).
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

Awesome. Looks like it's working. I can get VSS2 hooked up now and test it out!
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

Is there a downside to leaving port status monitoring turned on all of the time?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

dont think so mine has been on for about a year with no issues.
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

I have my pots installed and wired up to my TinyIOx, and the signals are coming through great. I can manipulate the pots and see CAN-ADC2 and CAN-ADC3 go from 0 to 1023 counts in Tunerstudio.

I have ADC2 configured to be my traction control slip % input. ADC 3 is configured as the launch control RPM setpoint.

How does the MS translate 0 to 1023 counts into 0-100%?

Is there a way in TS to see the current slip % and launch RPM?
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

I've managed to answer my own question here - the MS takes the 0-1023 counts and translates directly into a 0-100% signal. I was able to assign the Slip % and Launch RPM inputs to the CAN ADC directly and they work great.

Also, I was able to assign the CAN signals into generic sensor inputs and scale them there for use in TS. Launch RPM which is actually 1500-5000rpm had to be set as 150 - 500 due to the generic sensor range limit of ~3000. I was able to make gauges showing the correct units for current slip % and launch RPM.