Microsquirt Turbo setting up

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

oscarmax
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Microsquirt Turbo setting up

Post by oscarmax »

I am a newbie, I am trying to work out how to set up my turbo settings in Tuner studio. I have connected up to the Microsquirt, I am looking for 10psi

My set up: Microsquirt V3
Turbocharger
Honda CBR600RR throttle bodies
EDIS4 ignition
MAC 3 port turbo boost controller
Techedge wideband controller
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Microsquirt Turbo setting up

Post by nathanhardy »

can you give us some more details are you running an electric boost control solenoid. waste gate pressure or looking to just do over boost control? also the Manuel has a lot of info on this
98 VW golf gti vr6 turbo 8:5:1 cr ported and polished full ferrea race valves train 276 cams custom short runner intake Borge 366 sx-e turbo forge wossner pistons, balanced rotating mass, limited slip 6 speed deka 750Lbs injectors on ms3pro completed AWD swap
oscarmax
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by oscarmax »

nathanhardy wrote:can you give us some more details are you running an electric boost control solenoid. waste gate pressure or looking to just do over boost control? also the Manuel has a lot of info on this
I already have a MAC 3 port electronic controlled solenoid connected up to Microsquirt ALED.
My turbocharger unit Fiat TwinAir Mitsubishi TD25 with a standard wastegate and actuator.

I would like my Microsquirt to control the Fiat actuator to enable up to 10psi. I just need pointing in the right direction. I have sent you a PM to explain why.
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

I don't have a ton of experience with boost control in ms since I'm running a aem setup! But I would assume the settings would work in a open loop setting... Set your max kpa and it's a bit of trail and error to find out what freq that solenoid responds at well. This is assuming you have it wired up, I'll do some more research tonight and try to help you out when I get home. Sorry I'm not as smart on this subject as some others. I think most here will understand your situation and as alway reach out the best way possible! Good luck.
98 VW golf gti vr6 turbo 8:5:1 cr ported and polished full ferrea race valves train 276 cams custom short runner intake Borge 366 sx-e turbo forge wossner pistons, balanced rotating mass, limited slip 6 speed deka 750Lbs injectors on ms3pro completed AWD swap
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

What software have you installed on Microsquirt? Is it B&G MS or MS Extra? The software you are running will determine how you set this up. Generally you start out with open loop set up and verify that increasing duty to the MAC valve will provide increased boost (If not you will have to invert the valve polarity in TS). You should set the solenoid frequency to 19.5 HZ and the control interval to 51ms (for a MAC valve) in TS. You will have to fill in duty values in the throttle position verses RPM table in the boost target table. You will need to enter the "open" duty and "closed" duty for your valve (generally 100% and 0%, but open can be less than 100%). You will need to determine your boost pressure from just the wastegate spring pressure before EBC is enabled. The will give you an idea of what values to put in the various positions in the boost target table. Also, it is very important to input a KPA value for overboost protection to cut fuel and spark prior to doing any boost control tuning. Once you have your table filled out, then go out and take datalogs of boost pressure (MAP) to see how it looks. From there you will have edit the duty values in the boost duty table to get boost pressure under control to meet your target boost pressure. Once you get open loop working pretty good, you can switch to closed loop which is a whole new subject.
Porsche 930 3.0 Slantnose
MS3/MS3X Sequential Injection & Spark, MS Knock, Dual plug, LS2 coils, Siemens 55 lb/hr HiZ injectors, ALM-ADV Wide Band,
Carrera Intake, Extrude honed, Ford 70mm Throttlebody, GTX3071R Turbo
oscarmax
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by oscarmax »

Dennis930 wrote:What software have you installed on Microsquirt? Is it B&G MS or MS Extra? The software you are running will determine how you set this up. Generally you start out with open loop set up and verify that increasing duty to the MAC valve will provide increased boost (If not you will have to invert the valve polarity in TS). You should set the solenoid frequency to 19.5 HZ and the control interval to 51ms (for a MAC valve) in TS. You will have to fill in duty values in the throttle position verses RPM table in the boost target table. You will need to enter the "open" duty and "closed" duty for your valve (generally 100% and 0%, but open can be less than 100%). You will need to determine your boost pressure from just the wastegate spring pressure before EBC is enabled. The will give you an idea of what values to put in the various positions in the boost target table. Also, it is very important to input a KPA value for overboost protection to cut fuel and spark prior to doing any boost control tuning. Once you have your table filled out, then go out and take datalogs of boost pressure (MAP) to see how it looks. From there you will have edit the duty values in the boost duty table to get boost pressure under control to meet your target boost pressure. Once you get open loop working pretty good, you can switch to closed loop which is a whole new subject.
I am using MS Extra

Programme on/off output
Tunerstudios is asking for an output Fidle, LED D14, PT7 IAC, PT6 IAC2 and JS11 (PAO)
My MAC 3 Port is connected up to one of my spare port ALED
It is also asking for Port Settings and Active Control.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Wait... do you want an on/off output or boost control?

Pick one or the other, not both.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
oscarmax
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by oscarmax »

jsmcortina wrote:Wait... do you want an on/off output or boost control?

Pick one or the other, not both.

James
I want to control my MAC 3 port controller
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

For boost control, use the "Boost Control" settings. Leave the "Programmable on/off outputs" alone.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
oscarmax
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by oscarmax »

jsmcortina wrote:For boost control, use the "Boost Control" settings. Leave the "Programmable on/off outputs" alone.

James
Ok