Fuel cuts out under boost.

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

lagos
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Fuel cuts out under boost.

Post by lagos »

Capture.PNG
I started having a very odd problem. While boosting, the AFR will swing totally lean for no reason at all. As you can see in the graph above, the afr will peg lean at which point I take my foot off the gas. Starting the car, idle and cruise are all perfectly normal.

The fuel pump installed is about a 2 year old walbro unit.
I verified the vac line to the fuel pressure regulator, and that seems to have no problems.
Seeing as how this is a Toyota 3sgte engine, I have no easy way to take a fuel pressure reading.

Any ideas on whats going on here?

Log attached below.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Fuel cuts out under boost.

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Did you know that full lean on most wide bands is also the reading for rich beyond its measuring range.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
lagos
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lagos »

slow_hemi6 wrote:Did you know that full lean on most wide bands is also the reading for rich beyond its measuring range.
No, I did not. However having owned the same gauge for so many years, I have never seen it do this.
I also noticed this happening when I was holding the boost at a 11.5 afr. It would hold for a moment, and then swing fully lean.
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

I wonder if you're blowing the spark out and that causing the lean mixture on the wide band... check your plug gap too
98 VW golf gti vr6 turbo 8:5:1 cr ported and polished full ferrea race valves train 276 cams custom short runner intake Borge 366 sx-e turbo forge wossner pistons, balanced rotating mass, limited slip 6 speed deka 750Lbs injectors on ms3pro completed AWD swap
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

slow_hemi6 wrote:Did you know that full lean on most wide bands is also the reading for rich beyond its measuring range.
That, I've never heard of. What I *have* read about is that a misfire (for whatever reason) shows as dead lean because all the O2 is unconsumed.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I also have never seen that for any WBO2 controller. I'm not saying it's not correct but I'd like to have a link to some manufacturer information on this.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

That's what I am talking about, being so rich it suffocates the sensor. I have had it happen on mine without any noticeable miss. You always see it go extremely rich first then dart up to full lean yet there is no associated change in PW. Took me ages to work out I needed less fuel to get rid of the "lean out".
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
lagos
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lagos »

slow_hemi6 wrote:That's what I am talking about, being so rich it suffocates the sensor. I have had it happen on mine without any noticeable miss. You always see it go extremely rich first then dart up to full lean yet there is no associated change in PW. Took me ages to work out I needed less fuel to get rid of the "lean out".
I'm not sure if thats exactly what is happening in my situation, but I do think that you are onto something. I remember seeing videos that show the wideband peg lean on a sensor that is failing. My sensor is only about 2 months old, but failure is possible.

I will also change out the plugs to see if thats an issue.