Dead time question

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Dead time question

Post by slow_hemi6 »

jsmcortina wrote:
billr wrote:Educate me here: How do you tell what the firmware version is??? When I open an MSQ posted on forums, my TS screen shows my TS version, but advises to "go online for firmware version". I can't do that, of course, since I don't have the controller to connect to...
This was discussed recently, TunerStudio knew the firmware version when it saved the MSQ but unfortunately is choosing not to store it.

The text string you may see in Project Properties is NOT the firmware version.

James
What I am not understanding is if I do not have the required ini file for a MSQ, Tuner Studio does know which one to download for that given MSQ? If the FW version is not being stored then how does it know?
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

slow_hemi6 wrote:What I am not understanding is if I do not have the required ini file for a MSQ, Tuner Studio does know which one to download for that given MSQ? If the FW version is not being stored then how does it know?
This has been discussed before but there is a difference between the signature and the firmware version. The ini is defined by a certain signature but this is not the same as the firmware version which is only available in the firmware itself. The signature describes the interface to the firmware such as the variables and settings but the firmware version is associated to the code itself which is how the settings and variables are used and processed.

So a firmware version has only one signature but one signature could be used by more than one firmware versions.

Sorry for continuing this thread hijack.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Thanks Jean, that makes sense. Apart from my own stuff, about all I ever want to know is, what "generation" of firmware, it is anyway.
Also sorry for thread jacking, but I am pretty sure OP has got his question answered.
Cheers Luke
vtmegasquirter
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by vtmegasquirter »

Think I'll hijack my own thread. Since it came up, what kind of effort would be involved if I update to the 3.4.1 firmware from the GSlender version. What kind of learning curve would I encounter? Like I said, the GSlender works really well for my setup, especially the TPS noise control. Does the new version handle it as well? Is there a link where I can maybe read more details?
Thanks
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

A lot is covered in the firmware release notes inside the actual firmware download zip. Firmwares past 3.3.1 start to get much more picky on your serial connection quality. You need a good FTDI based serial for reliable connection for the latest firmwares. James also posts about firmware releases so might be good to check out a few of the major stable releases in between then and now. Do a search for "MS2/Extra firmware released" in the MS2/extra section and read the initial post for the firmwares. That usually details changes, bug fix etc.
Cheers Luke