Dead time question

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

vtmegasquirter
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Dead time question

Post by vtmegasquirter »

I have 2 cars running on MS2extra. I was doing some googling on dead times for my injectors. One car has 30lb Bosch 0280155759 injectors and I found a site that said the dead time was .634 @ 14v. The other car has 30lb Bosch 028150945 injectors and the site said their dead time was .259(didn't give any voltage). I've been using the default value of 1.0ms. Do these dead times sound correct? How will it change my set up if I adjust the settings. This is one area I'm pretty vague on. The 2 cars are daily drivers and run pretty well as is. Can anyone comment.
Thanks
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Dead time question

Post by slow_hemi6 »

The quoted dead time values were not acquired using Megasquirt driver hardware and as such are not necessarily going to be your dead time values. What mS pulsewidth does your engine idle at?
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
vtmegasquirter
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by vtmegasquirter »

Thanks for responding. Please refresh my memory on how to calculate the PW.
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

just look at your TS PW gauge, or datalog...
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
vtmegasquirter
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by vtmegasquirter »

I checked a couple of logs and the PW at idle seems to vary from 1.85 to 1.95. Running alpha-n with itb's. Would a copy of my msq or a log be helpful?
Thanks
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Well, sure! That's the whole purpose of all the big reminders, like this:
:msq:
vtmegasquirter
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by vtmegasquirter »

Not sure if these will help, but here are my msq and a log file. Any comments and/or suggestions are welcome. Cars are put away for the winter, had to dig out my tuning computer for the files.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Haven't seen that gslender firmware in several years! You might consider updating...............

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
vtmegasquirter
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by vtmegasquirter »

Yeah, still using the old firmware. I tried updating about a year and a half ago and I didn't like the way the car ran, so went back to the GSlender. I have a lot of TPS noise and the GSlender firmware seemed to handle it really well. I guess its more like, if it aint broke don't fix it kind of thing. I might try updating again this spring, but I really don't use any of the features that the newer versions handle. But it would be better for support.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Educate me here: How do you tell what the firmware version is??? When I open an MSQ posted on forums, my TS screen shows my TS version, but advises to "go online for firmware version". I can't do that, of course, since I don't have the controller to connect to...
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Might be a little bit out, but with 2mS or more of idle PW it is going to be fairly tolerant of a small dead time error.
Cheers Luke
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

billr wrote:Educate me here: How do you tell what the firmware version is??? When I open an MSQ posted on forums, my TS screen shows my TS version, but advises to "go online for firmware version". I can't do that, of course, since I don't have the controller to connect to...
When I opened it up tuner studio did not have the required ini file for it so it asked if I wanted to download MSextra Serial GS28, that is when I noticed but if you go into project properties it will also say the same thing in there for firmware.
Cheers Luke
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

slow_hemi6 wrote:
billr wrote:Educate me here: How do you tell what the firmware version is??? When I open an MSQ posted on forums, my TS screen shows my TS version, but advises to "go online for firmware version". I can't do that, of course, since I don't have the controller to connect to...
When I opened it up tuner studio did not have the required ini file for it so it asked if I wanted to download MSextra Serial GS28, that is when I noticed but if you go into project properties it will also say the same thing in there for firmware.

Ctrl-P (Project Properties)

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

OK, got it. Thanks.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

This was discussed recently, TunerStudio knew the firmware version when it saved the MSQ but unfortunately is choosing not to store it.

The text string you may see in Project Properties is NOT the firmware version.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

jsmcortina wrote:This was discussed recently, TunerStudio knew the firmware version when it saved the MSQ but unfortunately is choosing not to store it.
Actually, it is saved to the msq if the msq is saved while the ECU is online. But if you open the msq offline, TS deletes it.

So you need to open the msq in a text editor as a first thing and check if the firmware version is there. You can then open it in TS to check the different settings.

That's what I suggested Phil should change in the other thread.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
vtmegasquirter
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by vtmegasquirter »

No offense everyone, but seems to me the thread has been high jacked a bit. Can I get any responses to my original question please.
Thanks
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Only good way to get correct dead times is to do an actual test.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

slow_hemi6 wrote:Might be a little bit out, but with 2mS or more of idle PW it is going to be fairly tolerant of a small dead time error.
The old "get it fairly close" way is to double your squirts per cycle. If it gets richer you have too much dead time, If it goes lean not enough, stays pretty much the same you are close. Works best on cars with smooth, stable idles and steady AFR readings. You also can't drive your PW too low either when doing this test.
Other than that it is the full on Dead Time testing with various input voltages and the spreadsheet. Do a search you'll find the info.
Cheers Luke
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

jsmcortina wrote:
This was discussed recently, TunerStudio knew the firmware version when it saved the MSQ but unfortunately is choosing not to store it.

The text string you may see in Project Properties is NOT the firmware version.

James
Risking another hijack here..... I extend my most sincere apologies. After all these years I somehow thought that method was accurate! Apparently I was suffering from a terminal case of "optical rectalitis" (can't see while my head is you-know-where)!

Can I use "advanced age" as an affirmative defense? :lol:

Ken