Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MysticBowtie
MS/Extra Newbie

Occasional high idle and no closed loop

Post by MysticBowtie »

MS3 Pro
Engine - Supercharged GM V8 LT1 (1997)
Ignition - GM LS1 ignition system
DATA LOG IS 4MB (too large) I can email it if you're willing to look at it.

(EDIT - the datalog is too big to upload 4MB, I'd be very happy to email it)

I've been trying to dial in the car while driving, and occasionally have a problem with the car idling up from the normal 850ish to 1500-1900 RPM. When this happens, it is sudden and can happen after simply accelerating, or turning the car off when at normal operating temp and turning it right back on. Today I caught it all on a data log while idling in the garage.

I was trying to get the idle better, and get the car to go into closed loop. I didn't gas the throttle, but just wanted the MS3 to do it's thing and adjust the idle for my pre-set values. It didn't ever get to closed loop, nor did it try to adjust to meet my AFR target of 14.7. I gave it under 10% throttle, and after that, the idle wouldn't go back down. I did notice that the TPS never went back to 0, but instead seemed to be happy at .3%. I have tightened the throttle body spring and solved that problem, but it's too late to start the car and re-log (infant next door). It doesn't idle up until 23,277.238 seconds into the log after I goosed the throttle 10%.

The weird part - I found that if I give it 3% throttle, the IAC will close, and the car will actually drop RPM until I release the throttle and it re-opens the IAC and idles back up. This can be seen at 23,494.963 and forward in the datalog.

I noticed that the I/O Pins list shows that I have an IAC1 and IAC2. My car only has a single IAC. Is this perhaps my problem? I can't find where I can turn off IAC2.

So, #1 - why won't my car go into closed loop
#2 - why does it idle well, then occasionally jump up the RPM by opening the IAC
#3 - The car will start with little to no gas on the second turn of the key, never the first - any suggestions to fix that would be an added bonus!

I really appreciate any help, I've been trying to figure this out for 2 days. Thanks for any help guys!!

Ben
1994 Camaro
LT1, 383, D1SC Procharger 16 psi
LS1 ignition, 2014 Vette MAF
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Occasional high idle and no closed loop

Post by turbo conversion »

Are you using the stock GM IACV?

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Increase the homing steps, make sure it is going full closed and stalling there to find "home". Maybe turn off "closed loop" and get things stable with "open loop" first?

Edit: Just take a short log to post here... so easy to do!
MysticBowtie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MysticBowtie »

turbo conversion wrote:Are you using the stock GM IACV?

David
Yes sir.
1994 Camaro
MysticBowtie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MysticBowtie »

billr wrote:Increase the homing steps, make sure it is going full closed and stalling there to find "home". Maybe turn off "closed loop" and get things stable with "open loop" first?

Edit: Just take a short log to post here... so easy to do!
In open loop, it idles well. I'll take a short log of it. And post it a bit later today. Thanks for the interest!

Ben
1994 Camaro
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

MysticBowtie wrote:
turbo conversion wrote:Are you using the stock GM IACV?

David
Yes sir.
On a stock GM IACV all four wires (IAC1A-IAC1B-IAC2A-IAC2B) will need to be wired correctly for it to function
or did I miss understand your first post?

David

edit: wording
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
MysticBowtie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MysticBowtie »

The first file, "Rough Low Idle," shows the IAC being fully open causing high RPM until I give it a minimum of 2% throttle, which then lets the IAC valve close and try to act what I would call normal, trying to correct for a good idle.

EDIT BELOW
Hard to start - Takes two turns of the ignition, but no added throttle (It never starts on the first try): The data log named, "Hot Start - Rough Low Idle Drop," shows the car at operating temp at startup. It starts on the second try with zero throttle input as per usual. Then the idle drops low and when the IAC valve opens to full, there is no recovery. My thought is that the idle screw on the throttle body needs to be opened a bit more.

Thank you!

Ben
Last edited by MysticBowtie on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Camaro
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Not necessarily related, but I would set PID ramp to target to something other than 0.

The real cause of the problem is the Max Decel Load.

It has to be above the value you set (25) for PID delay seconds before PID will activate. Load is dipping below your setting (25) several times in the log you posted. Closed loop never actually engaged in your log. Not even once.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
MysticBowtie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MysticBowtie »

Ken,

Thank you so much, that got it into CL!! :yeah!:

As far as the idle goes, it is still hunting for the 850 RPM that I have it set for, generally going low (around 550-600). The AFR seems to read pretty good, but the motor is on the verge of dying the whole time. I adjust the the idle screw and reset the TPS calibration, and that doesn't seem to be helping. It will eventually hit a point that the RPM just jumps up to 1500, then I back the screw out, and it goes low. I'm thinking the plugs might be fouled at this point, do you see anything else on this recent log that would lead you to believe I have something in the tune jacked up?

Off topic, I noticed your username. I used to train under Saekson Janjira here in Plano. Do you still fight/train?
1994 Camaro
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

You may want to also try setting the algorithm under idle control to IAC Closed-loop always-on instead of IAC Closed-loop moving only.

David
MysticBowtie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MysticBowtie »

turbo conversion wrote:You may want to also try setting the algorithm under idle control to IAC Closed-loop always-on instead of IAC Closed-loop moving only.

David
Thanks David. I'll do that.

Ben
1994 Camaro