Why is advance curve cut off at lower engine revs?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jb007
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Why is advance curve cut off at lower engine revs?

Post by jb007 »

Hi all.

With mechanical distributors, the mechanical advance is usually limited at a lower engine RPM, well below the engines redline e.g. with my distributor, the mechanical advance is all in by around 3,000 RPM. Why do they not keep on advancing to higher RPM's? Is it because there is a mechanical limit to the advance weights/springs? If so why do a lot of MS advance curves also emulate this limit of advance? :?:

Jim
1968 Australian Morris Mini fitted with a 1310cc A+ engine
14point7 WB, TunerStudio MS Ultra & MegaLogViewer HD
My Blog: http://www.jims-blog.com
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Why is advance curve cut off at lower engine revs?

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Not taking avoiding pinging into account which should be obvious, At some point engines just stop responding to timing increases.
The good old dissy had a 2 dimensional curve for acceleration. Nearly all of them were curved for standard engines, which became a problem when emissions regulations started to bite. They attacked idle advance and reduced it significantly to reduce emissions at idle but this meant longer physical curves were required to reach good acceleration advance. Therefore if you had this type of dissy and increased the initial for a modified engine then they over advanced under acceleration. This led to people recurving with weights and shortening the slots. Features that then made it to the aftermarket dissys.
So engines reach a point where they stop responding to an increase in timing, but every engine is different as to where and when that will occur. Stock engines with lower redlines really don't need to advance on into rpms they were not designed to reach. Some people just emulate the old school "all in by" curves mostly because they still work well. People who do a lot of tuning on dynos usually sweep a range of timing for a given rpm/load and find optimal timing points. I have seen engines that respond well to a timing dip around peak torque and then increase again. If you look at factory maps for performance models you can see this occur in some of them.
I saw in a magazine article years ago where they compared a standard ecm timing map, a performance hei distributor timing curve translated into a timing map and an actual dyno tuned timing map for the car which was a fairly mild V8. The surprise in the article was 5kw gain over std for the dissy curve but a further 4kw gain for the dyno derived curve for a total of 140rwkw.
I see your in Australia, if you wanted to chase up that article its in Zoom No11.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
jb007
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jb007 »

Thanks Luke,

I'll look at that article later. I'm wondering if cylinder head design has a lot to do with the limitation or diminishing returns on advance? I'm currently not running the MS, but will be going back to it soon, but instead will be using a MAF. I'll have to get some time maybe on a dyno to set up the ignition curve to suit the system properly. Interestingly, since writing the original post this morning, I have discovered the Lucas electronic dissy, has not been advancing at all, and was stuck at around 0-2 BTDC! No wonder it was flat spotting and running hot! Pulled it apart and found no problems, put it back and all's okay now... go figure!
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

Something else you will notice on dyno tuned engines is smaller bore and stroke engines require less timing than
larger bore and stroke engines in the higher rpm range.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Combustion chamber shape and size determines optimal spark advance. Many gas motors will make peak power around 38 degrees WOT. But at part throttle will like more as much as ~44 degrees. Turbo applications want less (significantly) than 38 due to increased cylinder pressures over 100kpa MAP.
Last edited by rickb794 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

So at part throttle low kpa in your cruising rpm range you can play up the advance. Carefully!
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

At lower rpm (especially manual trans) high advance #s will buck or surge. You can bump advance under the target idle rpm a degree or 2 to help stabilize idle.
matthunter1448
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by matthunter1448 »

jb007 wrote:Thanks Luke,

I'll look at that article later. I'm wondering if cylinder head design has a lot to do with the limitation or diminishing returns on advance? I'm currently not running the MS, but will be going back to it soon, but instead will be using a MAF. I'll have to get some time maybe on a dyno to set up the ignition curve to suit the system properly. Interestingly, since writing the original post this morning, I have discovered the Lucas electronic dissy, has not been advancing at all, and was stuck at around 0-2 BTDC! No wonder it was flat spotting and running hot! Pulled it apart and found no problems, put it back and all's okay now... go figure!
Yay! The mini will live again on squirt.
jb007
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jb007 »

matthunter1448 wrote:
jb007 wrote:Thanks Luke,

Yay! The mini will live again on squirt.
Yep Matt, hopefully I'll start soon on re-instating the squirt! This time I have to fabricate ducting etc for the MAF, so I'm trying to get some ideas... everything on a Mini is so small. I was going to anonouce this on my blog, but it appears it's down... can't see it from Oz... I'll check in the morning.

Jim
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

rickb794 wrote:Combustion chamber shape and size determines optimal spark advance. Many gas motors will make peak power around 38 degrees WOT. But at part throttle will like more as much as ~44 degrees. Turbo applications want less (significantly) than 38 due to increased cylinder pressures over 100kpa MAP.
On small bore engines with high compression and efficient chambers, you will want a lot (a lot!!) less. I usually start tuning wot at 22-25deg and work from there on pump gas.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
jb007
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jb007 »

Paul_VR6 wrote:
rickb794 wrote:Combustion chamber shape and size determines optimal spark advance. Many gas motors will make peak power around 38 degrees WOT. But at part throttle will like more as much as ~44 degrees. Turbo applications want less (significantly) than 38 due to increased cylinder pressures over 100kpa MAP.
On small bore engines with high compression and efficient chambers, you will want a lot (a lot!!) less. I usually start tuning wot at 22-25deg and work from there on pump gas.
A book I have on ignition systems (Des Hamil?) states that the cylinder head combustion chamber shape used by the A series and B series (MGB etc) usually have max ignition advance of 32-34 BTDC and advance all in by 3,000 RPM. My problem with the current dizzy is the vacuum advance, it's to aggressive in the 2-3500 RPM range.

Jim
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

A perfect reason to start using spark control! I had similar problems in prepped vw race engines, but we would delete the vac advance. Not practical on a street car though.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
jb007
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jb007 »

Paul_VR6 wrote:A perfect reason to start using spark control! I had similar problems in prepped vw race engines, but we would delete the vac advance. Not practical on a street car though.
Your'e right... I might put the MS3 in just running ignition whilst I sort the MAF stuff out... at least I'll be able to use the car whilst pondering the MAF ducting!
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

Paul_VR6 wrote:
Not just limited to small bore cylinders, the Lotus 907 2-litre has 95mm bore and 69mm stroke, max advance is 28°BTDC at WOT. I believe later multivalve chamber may require even less. The good thing about a fast burning chamber is that it usually leaves a greater margin against detonation than a slower burning one, you can actually over-advance and only get poor performance, not a meltdown.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost