2nd blown motor--Please help

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

39ClevoUte
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: 2nd blown motor--Please help

Post by 39ClevoUte »

Hi
Studied your log and tables, here are a few thoughts, from I must admit a newby to MS.
AFR on both runs is getting down to low to mid 9s @ about 6500 rpm. I think this is consistent with your fuel VE table number 1, which has your % going from 92 to 207% between 190 and 200kpa.
I would think the table needs to be altered to greater than 200 and those high % numbers across the whole table need to be eliminated and replaced with something more like the rest, eg 90%s.
Regards Rob :RTFM:
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: 2nd blown motor--Please help

Post by WillExoIX »

After a quick skim and looking at those plugs I agree it was not only lean, but way too much timing under boost.

I ran 20psi on a bone stock 320k mile engine thats 30 years old and has stock internals, still. Even the original head gasket. Im at 15* at 20psi. As soon as I pass 100kpa, I drop timing starting at 20*.

Sure there is alot of power on the table, I still havent been to a dyno. But this stock 2.8 turbo car eats 6.0LS motors in light ass 1500 pickups.

Ive put 27k miles on the turbo setup now, daily drive it, and beat the piss out of it every single day. I am far from an expert but you were certainly cooking your rings with detonation. You wont really hear it until its bad in a car compared to a dirtbike or atv; you are behind a wall in a car, right ontop of the engine on a dirtbike.

Also has alot to do with CR. I have a CR of 8.5:1. So I can run 20lbs of boost all day long at that CR, with regular gas. FTR I run premium.

But if you have say a 10:1CR thats WAY too much timing. Each motor is different but the principal is the same.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection