Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

puffthemagic
MS/Extra Newbie

Maybe take a peak please! Thanks.

Post by puffthemagic »

currentsetup.zip
Hello :)

MS-1- running MsNs code 029y4

6 cyl 2.8l, 440cc high impedance injectors, using a distributor to trigger MS and FIDLE as spark control to HEI-4 to fire my coil, boosted.
AEM 2310 Wideband - so AFR is voltage, but I don't think I am running lean, if anything a bit rich. I think I am having spark issues, fires up and idles amazing. Timing matches up to +-1 degree with light.

Issue: Load or no load it runs rough and has a hard time to get to 2k even, not boosting under load, falls on its face. When I see MS tach at around 2k+. the tach that is driven off the coil only shows 1200 rpm if that, this makes me think its not firing for actual engine RPM, does that make any sense? Might be a lot of noise issue as well?
edit: My msq doesnt show injectors and cyl, but it is burned into the MS, when i plug it in, it comes up.
attached log, and msq

Thanks!!!
Last edited by puffthemagic on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Maybe take a peak please! Thanks.

Post by Matt Cramer »

Is the timing correct across the whole RPM range?

Will it rev past 2000 if not under load?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
puffthemagic
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by puffthemagic »

It does go past 2k but very rough with a constant miss. I haven't timed it with the gun across the whole range, I know it does move just can't see the rpm gauge. Took it for a drive and manifold was nice and glowy, since it's not lean, at least to my Afr meter, and plugs aren't white, I assumed spark issues.
Thanks for the reply.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

puffthemagic wrote:It does go past 2k but very rough with a constant miss. I haven't timed it with the gun across the whole range, I know it does move just can't see the rpm gauge. Took it for a drive and manifold was nice and glowy, since it's not lean, at least to my Afr meter, and plugs aren't white, I assumed spark issues.
Thanks for the reply.
Glowing manifolds make this old guy very nervous!!!!!!! :shock:

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

kjones6039 wrote: Glowing manifolds make this old guy very nervous!!!!!!! :shock:

Ken
Screams lean to me too.
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
puffthemagic
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by puffthemagic »

No its not a fueling issue at all. Its running rich if anything. I finally had a chance to watch the laptop screen and watch the timing light, and as I rev the engine, Megasquirt is advancing timing, but my engine is going to retarded side. So its doing the opposite of what it needs to.
puffthemagic
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by puffthemagic »

Don't mean to keep bumping but I am making some headway, I think. I installed some caps to smooth out the small voltage fluctuations, now its a solid, flat line. I also rewired my sensors with some good high quality shielded cable, properly grounded on one end. Seems my signals are super smooth now. The one thing I noticed for my LED18 (middle) IRQ_Trigger, is always slightly on, dim, and when it triggers a spark event (when i rotate the dizzy) I can see it light up brighter (this was before I did any cap install as well). I don't think its the LED circuit because when I set it for say "Warmup" the light goes off. If I take out the processor, the light goes off, is something hooped with the brains? Any suggestions are really appreciated!
Thanks, sorry if I don't make much sense, trying to explain the best I can what is happening.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

puffthemagic wrote:Megasquirt is advancing timing, but my engine is going to retarded side.
I am not clear on what you mean here........ How can you be certain that MS is advancing timing when you see it retarding with your timing light?

Or maybe it's just my dementia kicking in again...... :lol:

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
puffthemagic
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by puffthemagic »

kjones6039 wrote:
puffthemagic wrote:Megasquirt is advancing timing, but my engine is going to retarded side.
I am not clear on what you mean here........ How can you be certain that MS is advancing timing when you see it retarding with your timing light?

Or maybe it's just my dementia kicking in again...... :lol:

Ken
Well I see my timing in the table go from 20-35, and my timing light is going from 20-10 on the crank, etc. Not sure how else to explain it, am I that bad at describing issues?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Is this a simple timing light, or a dial-back type? The dial-backs are unreliable.
puffthemagic
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by puffthemagic »

billr wrote:Is this a simple timing light, or a dial-back type? The dial-backs are unreliable.
simple light good sirs. it shows what it actually fires.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Sounds like something inverted or reversed to me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
puffthemagic
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by puffthemagic »

WillExoIX wrote:Sounds like something inverted or reversed to me.

Yeah I have no clue to be honest. It actually retards timing when I rev it up while having set fixed timing at 20. It will slowly retard back. I am trying to read old issues as much as I can, but I haven't come across anything similar yet.
Cheers.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

puffthemagic wrote:

Yeah I have no clue to be honest. It actually retards timing when I rev it up while having set fixed timing at 20. It will slowly retard back. I am trying to read old issues as much as I can, but I haven't come across anything similar yet.
Cheers.
Try setting your entire spark table to say 10 or 20* and see if the timing changes when you rev it still.

Another thing; I dont remember where its located ATM, but make sure you have "use spark/timing table" checked in your settings.

puffthemagic
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by puffthemagic »

WillExoIX wrote:
puffthemagic wrote:

Cheers.
Try setting your entire spark table to say 10 or 20* and see if the timing changes when you rev it still.

Another thing; I dont remember where its located ATM, but make sure you have "use spark/timing table" checked in your settings.

Yes sir, have done that as well, still wonders off towards retard. I tried hardware latency, seems it solved some peoples issues with spark retard, but it didn't do much at all. Yeah its -10 in the fixed angle to use table, that is set as well.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Can you verify 5v on vref?

Also, which 2.8l engine is this?

puffthemagic
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by puffthemagic »

WillExoIX wrote:Can you verify 5v on vref?

Also, which 2.8l engine is this?

4.98v on vref - 280zx

Edit; I tried putting into the spark table 40 at idle, and it does fire at 40 with the timing light, but as soon as I give it any RPMs it just swigs back down towards 10 or so. I dunno.
puffthemagic
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Maybe take a peak please! Thanks. SOLVED

Post by puffthemagic »

Thanks everyone for giving me input. I had an old laptop I was trying to tune and write to controller. I am not sure if the port wasn't jiving, or the code was not burning right or corrupt. I ended up installing Tunerstudio on my new laptop, started from 0, re-flashed the firmware, wrote out new parametars, and SUCCESS!!! The timing is rock steady at 20 when locked through the rev range, and it follows the map perfectly now!! Super stoked!!!
Thanks !!

Well it worked for about half hour and then back to its regular random timing self.
/shrug