Megasquirt mpg test

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Megasquirt mpg test

Post by piledriver »

slow_hemi6 wrote:My car will start to surge if I push it too far.
Unless you have lean miss, it goes away with more advance.
(have ~lived here for years, still running 22:1 at cruise)

I get lean miss running batch fuel at ~18:1, sequential 22:1. injection timed for max residency time on back of valve, and lowest AFR reading.

Doesn't really help fuel economy that much, but knifes my CHT ~50F, -75 with E85.
I have to load another tune in late fall, target stoich when its below ~60F outside so as not to overcool.
(aircooled)
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I kind of put it down to the 70 degrees of overlap on my cam coming into play. Surge turns up around 15.5:1. I will have to try and push it next time I take a trip.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
webb1624
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by webb1624 »

After some suggestions to increase the timing a little more, I was able to do a couple tests. First test timing was at 50 degrees, AFR 15.8-16.2, 22.20 mpg. Best so far.

Second test timing at 50 degrees, AFR 14.5-15.2, 18.528 mpg. That was a considerable drop and not consistent with what I've been getting so I'm going to do it again. The reason I say that is one of my last test was 45 degrees timing, and AFR 14.5-15.2 and my mpg were 20.897.

Next time I'm going to increase timing a little more and see what happens. At 50 degrees the engines runs great. No knock at all.
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

Do you have a lockup converter? What RPMs are you running on the highway?
webb1624
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by webb1624 »

Yes, I have a lockup converter. 2600 rpms at 70 mph
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

That your MPGs was falling at stoich and added timing would simply be that you have more timing than is most efficient for that mixture. I don't see an inconsistency in losing mileage when adding timing. You could try leaning out further to 17-18 and add even more timing. The weaker mixture burns slower so it needs to be lit off earlier.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

subwoofer wrote:That your MPGs was falling at stoich and added timing would simply be that you have more timing than is most efficient for that mixture. I don't see an inconsistency in losing mileage when adding timing. You could try leaning out further to 17-18 and add even more timing. The weaker mixture burns slower so it needs to be lit off earlier.

^^^^ what he said.
The efficiency will fall off slower with too much timing vs too little IIRC.
(assuming safe low maps under ~80ish KPA for all this play)

Stoich wants the LEAST timing , and the leaner (or richer) you go from stoich, the more timing it needs.
It's all about flame propagation speed in the chamber at different mixes and pressures.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
Quagmire
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quagmire »

Update on my figures.

Running around without a TPS I was previously averaging 25-26mpg (UK).

TPS fitted and fuel cut enabled, no other changes made.

Last four tanks have been:

So a noticeable improvement!

This is on the factory fitted 3.5 in my 1973 Rover 3500s
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

If you experiment with lean burn operation you could probably get a lot better than that, even. Are you running sequential? There may be some small gains in the injection timing as well.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
Quagmire
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Quagmire »

At cruise I am running around 16.2:1 - not got any lean surge so could go further with it but to be honest it scares me a bit! :oops:

Should also point out that the Rover has a four speed manual, and 60mph is around 2500rpm. I have a 5 speed to fit which should make a difference, dropping the revs a bit.