map readings going high at idle

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

map readings going high at idle

Post by kaeman »

I have encountered a problem, I am getting random vacuum levels, I have a mechanical gauge and 2 map sensors that show the problem, with the engine idling stable for a few minutes, all the sudden the rpm drops from 1100 to 700 and the afr's go rich , and the map readings rize from 55-60 to low 80's. the engine can be reved up and clear this out but it may come back in 1 minute or 30 seconds or maybe 10 minutes later. I am searching for possible vacuum leaks. but its a change that takes place in about 2 seconds and then will go away with out making any corrections..
in the attached log the problem occurs in the beginning a couple of times, I pump the throttle a few times and let the engine settle out, the engine idled normal at the end of this log for about 3 minutes at 1100 rpm and then the problem repeated itself. I shortened the log to fit so the size limit so that portion is missing.
2016-04-08_13.22.14.msq
2016-04-08_11_modified_modified.msl
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: map readings going high at idle

Post by nathanhardy »

I had my mapdaddy go out and it pretty much did the same bing if I remember right.. Don't want to lead you astray tho
98 VW golf gti vr6 turbo 8:5:1 cr ported and polished full ferrea race valves train 276 cams custom short runner intake Borge 366 sx-e turbo forge wossner pistons, balanced rotating mass, limited slip 6 speed deka 750Lbs injectors on ms3pro completed AWD swap
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

I was headed towards possible bad sensor, but both sensors are showing the same readings and the mechanical vacuum gauge is showing the same drop. I called accufab yesterday and they said it might be my iac valve, they said they were sending me a new one this Monday, as they got a batch of them with a defect that caused vacuum leaks and mine might be one of the bad ones.
I am still looking into bad grounds and mechanical vacuum leaks. I haven't found the cause yet.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

I changed out the iac motor and the problem seems to have cleared up. The last few times I have datalogged the engine the map sensors and vacuum gauge don't show the problem. The iac motor must have been leaking intermittently.