tuning new running 5.3

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: tuning new running 5.3

Post by nathaninwa »

I don't feel you need to shield them. Gm never did and the 6 or so LS installs I've don't have the power ground or power sheilded from the rest of the bundle. And the coils don't need grounded, I run them as coil on plug on my 2j with zero issues and I run lost of boost. Now, one install had a weird stumbling problem so we cut the sensor ground wire from the coil so it's just the 3 wires left and it cleaned right up. My last two installs left the sensor ground unhooked with no issues either. Gm uses the "sensor return" as a way to check the coil fired, hence how we get misfire codes on gm computers
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
coreymartin
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by coreymartin »

I was doing some reading and it looks like most have set their LS style engine to read on Rising edge. Mine is set to falling edge. When I tried to start it on rising edge I was having a hard time. I set it to falling and it fired right up. It runs so good other than the little hickups between 3100-3600 rpm. Im going to start scoping each cylinder. Might end up being a bad coil, they were used. But they did come off a running car
coreymartin
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by coreymartin »

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!! As stated, I was originally having issues getting it started with rising edge. But now that it is partially tuned I decided to switch the setting back to rising edge. Car runs flawless, no missing or dead spots. I guess catching the signal on the falling edge was messing with it in that area. All is well now. Rising edge, tooth #1 angle set on 78