Cant rev past 6k RPM.need help

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Cant rev past 6k RPM.need help

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Back to the upgrade for a minute, when you upgraded and were connected, did you right click the tuner studio dash and then reload it? that should have sorted out the incorrect indicators on the dash.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

You have everything set for a rather rich F/A mixture; MAT table, req_fuel, AFR table, and VE table. That could account for it getting lazy. Engines can run without misfire when too rich, but power is down. Fix the MAT table and req_fuel, then start over.
gruff511
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gruff511 »

slow_hemi6 wrote:Back to the upgrade for a minute, when you upgraded and were connected, did you right click the tuner studio dash and then reload it? that should have sorted out the incorrect indicators on the dash.
yes i did that because i noticed some gauges were frozen and werent moving so i reloaded it and everything was working as normal just at the bottom of tunerstudios its highlighted red that it is not synced and there was a no rev limit indicator. and loaded it and reloaded it multiple times on different laptops and all same thing. i didnt have the time to mess around with it thats why i put 1.2 firmware back on it. i was thinking of trying firmware 1.3 this weekend and if that works then try loading 1.4 after it to see if that corrects it
gruff511
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gruff511 »

billr wrote:You have everything set for a rather rich F/A mixture; MAT table, req_fuel, AFR table, and VE table. That could account for it getting lazy. Engines can run without misfire when too rich, but power is down. Fix the MAT table and req_fuel, then start over.
i only have my MAT density table rich at the air temps that are colder or hotter then usual. my IAT stay between 80-105degrees once fully warmed up and driving even on the coldest days and hottest days. So on cold days when i start the car and IAT are really cold it will had a little more fuel while warming up, THEN on hot restarts when IAT are hot it will add a little extra fuel to keep a steady idle until temps drop back down to normal.
And my required fuel is set pretty good as i am on e85 it needed some extra fuel but my VE table is set to where my AFR's are where i need them to be, it doesnt run rich BUT my AFR gauge isnt spot on with Tunerstudios, like if you see in the log it might say rich but my AFR gauge reads a little leaner. I was never able to get tunerstudios to read exactly what my AFR gauge reads.
Ive even leaned it out more up top around redline to around 11.8-12:1AFR on e85 and i still get this same issue.

BUT if i change the MAT density table am i supposed to put every temp setting to 100 since this is 1.2 firmware?
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

Don't know if this could cause an issue but is there a reason why kpa upper limit under General Settings is set to 255.

The reason I ask is 102 kpa is recommended for this setting?

David

edit: word
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
gruff511
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gruff511 »

turbo conversion wrote:Don't know if this could cause an issue but is there a reason why kpa upper limit under General Settings is set to 255.

The reason I ask is 102 kpa is recommended for this setting?

David

edit: word
Ill set it to 102 it was set at 255 from day 1 years ago because a local megasquirt guy who helped me set it up said the upper limit kpa should be what the map sensor reads up to and i had the factory map sensor in the ms unit so he put it at 255. I wouldnt think it would be that causing the issue because when i first started using ms i was able to rev to 7,000rpm.
This issue was ao weird to me because over time all of a sudden i noticed it was having trouble going to 7,000rpm and i used to think it was a mechanical issue like my ignition coils or something
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

If you read the tool tip it tells you that is the upper limit for Baro Correct. If you have a bad sensor or read, it limits the amount baro could affect your fueling. Very unlikely it had any effect unless you got resets or your sensor was dodgy.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
gruff511
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gruff511 »

Okay well i was talking to some local tuners and they tell me im probably getting valve float.
Im not sure how everything reacts and feels when getting valve float so is this possible? Is that what this looks like to any of you guys with experience?
I just cant figure this out, ive gone through every setting in Tunderstudios
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

It's been a while since you last posted the current MSQ; did you ever try leaning it out a bit? Did those tuners get to see it running? I expect to see some smoke to show up in the exhaust with either valve-float or detonation; it's pretty obvious if you are looking for it. Didn't you say it used to rev to 7000, has anything been changed in the valve train since then?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

gruff511 wrote:Okay well i was talking to some local tuners and they tell me im probably getting valve float.
Im not sure how everything reacts and feels when getting valve float so is this possible? Is that what this looks like to any of you guys with experience?
I just cant figure this out, ive gone through every setting in Tunderstudios
When data logs fail to turn up any electrical issues, that usually means it's time to look for something mechanical. Valve float sometimes does funny things with the MAP readings, but not always.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
gruff511
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gruff511 »

So by looking at the log, is that what valve float could look like? When my rpm's flatten out the power falls off but theres no change in sound from the motor, it still sounds like its reving up, theres no back fire, no smoke, no flames.
And yes i leaned it out some ill try and get a log tonight of it
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Can you post a data log of what happens if you try to free-rev it past 6000 RPM without loading the engine up? That will shed a bit more light on the problem.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

If the valves are floating you will normally hear popping from the intake as the valve is not seating.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd