MINI with BMW1200RS Head Conversion

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

minicoon
MS/Extra Newbie

MINI with BMW1200RS Head Conversion

Post by minicoon »

Hi peeps,

I have completed the engine build portion of my A-series mini with BMW k1200rs head. I will be running an MS3 with this set-up. Wondering if anyone out there has done this conversion and if there are any tips (or a base map) that you can share in order to overcome the challenges that are coming my way.

Cheers
Mark
1970 Morris Mini K
BMW K1200RS Head mated to standard A+ Mini block
#Deathtrap
gtmdriver
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: MINI with BMW1200RS Head Conversion

Post by gtmdriver »

Interesting.

I have always been an A series fan and user and I suppose, unless you go for one of the purpose built special heads the BMW conversion is as good as it gets.

I have only ever seen one such conversion running.

You will get more useful information from this forum if you ask specific questions so my advice would be to get started and seek specific advice as you go along.

How much reading up have you done? Is there any particular reason why you are thinking about an MS3?

Depending on the features and hardware you want to run an MS2 or even a Microsquirt may well get the job done.

Finally don't get tied up with the mapping at this stage. The chances of anyone having a map for an engine similar to yours is pretty remote. The best thing to do is to get the system assembled then start from one of the sample tunes in TunerStudio.
JumboHH
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by JumboHH »

What kind of cam and crank sensor you would like to use?
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

Go for an MS3, that leaves room for growth as you progress. Not that much more expensive either, chump change compared to the rest of the project.

Did you engineer the conversion yourself, or did you buy it from twinkam.co.uk?
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
ewflyer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ewflyer »

Wondering if anyone out there has done this conversion and if there are any tips (or a base map) that you can share in order to overcome the challenges that are coming my way.
Have you seen this project? I don't know BMW motorcycles well enough to guess whether the K1100 16V head is the same as the K1200RS 16v head, but here you go...

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=59574