Starts but stumbles and dies without throttle.

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

gtmdriver
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Starts but stumbles and dies without throttle.

Post by gtmdriver »

Air cooled VW 1600cc engine with MS2 V3 Firmware 3.4.2.

I'm really pleased with the tune I've achieved so far using VEAL. The car is already running much better than it did on the twin carbs and idles steadily once it's fired up.

Only a minor problem really but one which I'd like to sort out if possible.

I have a 4 wire stepper motor IAC valve. The GM Jeep one sold by DIY Autotune.

If I rely solely on the IAC valve when starting the engine it will fire up easily, idle slowly for a couple of seconds then stumble and die.

If I use a whiff of throttle when starting the engine it fires up easily then continues to run on the open throttle for a few seconds after which it will settle down to a steady fast idle which reduces as the engine warms up finally idling steadily at 850 rpm when warm.

I have tried various settings for the ASE, the ASE taper and the WUE but I haven't managed to cure the problem or even go some way to improving it.

As I said it's only a small niggle and the workaround is easy but I'd like it sorted if possible.

If you could look at my tune and/or my log to see what I've done wrong I'd be very grateful.

John
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Starts but stumbles and dies without throttle.

Post by turbo conversion »

I would start with lowering cranking rpm to 300 instead of 600.

Then you need to add more after start enrichment until it stays running.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

I have a question about your Primary Fuel and Primary Ignition load settings.

Primary Fuel Load is set to Alpha-N and Primary Ignition Load is set to Speed Density, I have never seen this before.

What is the reason for this, just trying to learn something here.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
gtmdriver
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gtmdriver »

turbo conversion wrote:I would start with lowering cranking rpm to 300 instead of 600.

David
OK. I'll get straight on to that.

For future reference what effect will lowering the cranking rpm have?

Shouldn I increase just the ASE or should I also lengthen the ASE taper time too?
gtmdriver
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gtmdriver »

turbo conversion wrote:I have a question about your Primary Fuel and Primary Ignition load settings.

Primary Fuel Load is set to Alpha-N and Primary Ignition Load is set to Speed Density, I have never seen this before.

What is the reason for this, just trying to learn something here.

David
I can explain that!

I'm an idiot!

I tried so hard to read about and understand the various functions as I was filling them in and I completely missed that one.

Thanks for pointing that out in such a subtle way.

They are now both Alpha-N.
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

gtmdriver wrote:
turbo conversion wrote:I would start with lowering cranking rpm to 300 instead of 600.

David
OK. I'll get straight on to that.

For future reference what effect will lowering the cranking rpm have?

Shouldn I increase just the ASE or should I also lengthen the ASE taper time too?
You want the cranking rpm about 150 rpm above what the starer is spinning the engine when cranking.

Notice in your data log after the engine fires when the rpm falls below 600 it goes back into cranking mode and engine dies.

If it is set to 300 rpm it will have to fall below that before it goes back into cranking mode.

At 300 rpm MS will go into run mode instead having to achieve 600 rpm.

I would start with increasing ASE first until the engine does not die on the first cold start.

Notice in your data log once the engine fires there is a lean spike rpm goes below 600 rpm then the engine dies, this is caused by not enough ASE.

Once you get ASE correct then you can dial in the taper.

David
gtmdriver
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gtmdriver »

Those change seem to have done the trick.

It started up and idled away quite steadily this morning. No issues with revs dropping or dying.

Thanks very much for the advice.
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Awesome, happy tuning :D

David
dmiletics
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dmiletics »

Hi John I am having similar problems with my 1977 Beetle. I am using the stock VW throttle body and plenum with a Bosch idle valve from a VW golf and ms1. It starts first try but the idle stumbles for 30 seconds then settles into a steady idle that slowes down as the air valve progressively closes.
I am guessing this means I need to tweak my after start enrichement and not my cold start enrichment.
Have you been able to get reliable cold starts yet?
What are your cranking and after start enrichment settings ?

Thanks David
Montreal Canada
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Can you start a new thread with a data log and msq?

David
dmiletics
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dmiletics »

Sorry will do. I hijacked this thread by mistake I thought I was joining a discussion for air cooled VW engines.
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

No problem, will be looking for it.

David
oscarmax
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by oscarmax »

I have the same problem, I will try this solution on mine to see if it works.