Kia Rio 2015 turbo project

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Kia Rio 2015 turbo project

Post by jasaircraft »

Hi, a client showed up with a turbo kit on a kia rio, the stock engine management logically doesnt know what a hell is going on so we decided to install a ms2 ecu.
My very first concern is if anyone know what trigger pattern I could use wasted or sequential no problem.
thanks in advance,
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Kia Rio 2015 turbo project

Post by jasaircraft »

Anyone?
gnz404
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by gnz404 »

For wasted spark the most common configurations are 36-1 and 60-2 at crank speed.
If you want to do sequential you must have a cam signal...
This is fully explained in the MS2 hardware manual... Take a look there is all the info you might need.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

I meant to say if anyone knows what trigger pattern is the kia rio 1.4L using, i think crank is 60-2 not sure about cam
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'd just put the MS in "log crank and cam" mode, and make a composite log of it cranking.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

i'll do that and upload the log.

Something else im not sure about is if this G4FA kia engine has its cop with built in ignitor or is the ignitor in the ecu? :RTFM:
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You can probably tell by examining the coils. First, any coil with two wires, or a coil pack with one more wire than its number of outputs, will require an external coil driver.

If the coil uses power, signal, and ground wires, it may be a logic level coil or require direct coil control. You can check this by applying power and ground to the appropriate wires. If you see 12 volts on the signal wires with the coil powered up, it is almost certainly one that requires an external driver. If you have zero volts on the signal wire, it is a logic level coil.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Thanks Matt I will try that tomorrow, I see wires go directly to the stock ecu, so if they are not built in the coils, they must be built in the ecu... which would suck. I have finished the harness and will wire it in tomorrow.
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Matt the coils seem to be without built in ignitor(connected the two wire connector on the coil and 12v appear on the signal wire).
I have a bunch of the igbts that come with the MS kits, i guess I will have to use them inside the ecu, the thing is where to place them? im thinking on the case although i I dont really like that as you always need to slide the case to operate inside...
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

I managed to install a small heatsink on the proto area :)
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Ok so I can confirmn (visually) this 2015 kia rio G4FA 1.4L engine has a 60-2 wheel for ckp (reluctor) and a half moon tooth for cam (cam sensor is hall effect).
sooo according to the manual trigger type should be toothed wheel with two missing and polled cam?
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Ok so, like always I have triggering problems,
I start off by trying to make the ecu read the 60-2 signal. I wired what seems to be the positive VR ckp sensor wire to pin24 and the negative to MS ground pin.
I came to the conclusion that the positive signal wire is indeed the positive one because with the tester and a piece of metal placing the positive testers lead to the brown wire and the negative testers lead to the white wire the behaviour of the voltage when the metal piece touches or closes into the sensor, voltage goes up in a positive value and goes negative when going away from the sensor. please correct me if this is wrong?

So I setup the board as the manual specifies
bridge vrin to tachselect
bridge tsel to vrout
both pots CC.
(will see if there is a newer manual that says otherwise) and no signal is seen.
Turned both pots all the way counterclocwise and played with them increasing little by little then the other then going back one by one so most position must have been tested. Also tested all that with a 2.2kohm resistor across the sensor signal.

So I have my last jbperf board I will have to try with that. I tested manually pulsing 5v on tsel and ecu sees good rpm
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

turns out i had 2 jbperf boards, wired them in and nothing... :x
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

I just checked on another clients car, a subaru and I have the exact same setup on the board, on the jbperf board and he syncs fine on ckp signal only.
tried to make a tooth log but it doesnt see anything, could I maybe need a 5v or 12v pull up on the signal wire?
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

just tried selecting 36-2-2-2 on the Stim and TS from the subaru trigger and it syncs ok with a small sync gap at around 4krpm.

so what a hell is wrong, could the vehicles signal be bad? if so why selecting 60-2 in the stim and TS wont sync at all?
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

now using the tester on continuity test I can hear the beeps that the stim sends while being on the subaru 36-2-2-2 trigger but when selecting the 60-2 trigger in the dipsticks the beeping stops... its like the stim wouldnt send a good signal?
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

It syncs!!! at last! well on the stim it just wouldnt sync, although it might be because the pull up on 5v? EDIT: (tried with 12v pull up and nothing, signal from stim is not good)

On the car it synced fine, there was a problem in the wiring the signal negative wasnt reaching ground on the MS.

So now its time to make it read the cam signal... crossing fingers
Last edited by jasaircraft on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

Congrats! Hope you get it running soon.
2016 Westfield SEiW MX5 1.8 - 6sp - Torsen - MSM turbo - MS3 Pro - 2.3kg/hp
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

thanks, now on to setting up timing with sparkplugs out, turns out you have to use the polled cam signal in order to "zero" your timing otherwise there is no usable trigger angle value just by using the 60-2 signal.
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

ok so it started just fine, I do however have a certain unstable idle or a drop in rpm every now and then apparently because of the DBW.

I dont know why my boost control output (JS0) is constantly putting out ground except for when I enable it as a programable output and set it as JS2 ( Power ON value:ON Active value: ON... any ideas why?

Both JS0 and JS2 output nothing when ON and ground when off...ie backwards why?

Taping in the ECT signal makes the stock ecu see cold apparently because dash gauge is down and fans off, however when I disconnect the MS dash goes to the expected position.

My IAT value is also unstable at certain moments.

Im thinking on installing separate ect and iat sensors in order not to mess with the stock ecu.

What to do with the DBW? I certainly wouldnt like to do as the 2008wrx we had to convert to mechanical throttle due to the DBW doing crazy stuff.

Im attaching a startup file for anyone out there ... Couldnt attach a message saying Sorry the board attachment quota has been reached appears... wth is this?