Honda blackbird turbo

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

andy short
MS/Extra Newbie

Honda blackbird turbo

Post by andy short »

As a relative newcomer to the forum I wondered if people could have a look at my tune and log please ,I am getting frustrated with trying to get it to run correctly
a bit of background = the engine is in a single seater so I cant take a log under power unless I take it to a rolling road , hopefully someone can spot something obvious in my settings ,it revs up ok in the workshop but as soon as I try to drive it starts to miss and stutter .
sorry for rambling ,just hope someone can help .
thanks
Andy
andy short
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Honda blackbird turbo

Post by andy short »

any ideas ?????
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

really need to see a log of it misbehaving, there are a couple of android apps that let you log on a phone or tablet if you have a bluetooth rs232 adaptor.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
andy short
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by andy short »

Spent the day at a rolling road yesterday and the problem hasn't gone, the ignition starts dropping out at 7k under load I have tried a 12-1 trigger wheel instead of a 12-3 which I was advised might be losing synch.
But this seems to have made no difference ,I am using an vw/audi coilpack which I understand has been used many times and is reliable ,at the time we had the timing light connected to the plug wire and I could see the pulse start to disappear at 7k ,am using the standard blackbird ignition sensor so this should be ok up to 1100 ,so any ideas as to what be causing this ,have been trying to cure this since april so starting to get frustrating .
Many thanks
Andy
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

did you take any logs while at the r/r????
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
andy short
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by andy short »

No sorry I forgot !!!! we were mapping up the rev range and it was fine till 7k but when I got back to my garage I started it up and warmed it up then tried to rev it up ,if I go slowly on the accelerator its fine but if I slam the accelerator open quickly it holds back and wont pickup properly like the acceleration enrichment isn't doing anything !!. obviously that has nothing to do with the losing sync at 7k but its another thing on my mind .
thanks again
Andy
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

is it actually losing sync at 7000rpm rpm dropping to zero? if so try turning the noise filtering off and adding a 10k resistor across the vr sensor wires.
andy short
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by andy short »

I have a 10k resistor in the vr wire already ,the rpm didn't drop it just started missing I will try turning off the noise filter, thanks for that idea !!!.,also we changed a few things yesterday so will post a new msq and try to get a log tomorrow.
Thanks Again
Andy
andy short
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by andy short »

Here is a tune and a short log ,could someone please cast their eye over this and see if they can spot anything ?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

we really need to see a tooth and composite log of the rpm signal breaking up so we can diagnose why its losing sync.

as you are using 100% tps based ae, set your 'accel MAPdot threshold (kPa/s)' to a high number like 1000 as map based ae and decel is constantly kicking in throughout the log.
andy short
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by andy short »

Hi I cant post a tooth log as I only have the unregistered version of tunerstudio.
but have started the car and looked at the composite log and trigger log and they both look good ,no loss of sync ,this is when I slowly press the accelerator it revs all the way to 11000 .
but if I stab on the throttle from tickover giving if full throttle , it revs to 5k then drops back to about 3k then just cycles between the two not going any higher ,I can back the throttle pedal off all the way to 20% say and it still just cycles up and down .
I took another log this morning trying to capture this ,then I tried with the tooth logger and this looked ok to me [all even and no loss of sync].
thanks for all the help and advice so far I feel like I making progress !!
cheers
Andy
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The unregistered version of TunerStudio can still record tooth logs - it just can't open them. Many of the people who post on the forums have the required software to open these.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
andy short
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by andy short »

is this it ?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

That is a composite log, and I'm not seeing any loss of sync in this. I find a tooth log a bit easier to interpret for missing tooth wheels. Same screen, but you set the logger type to tooth log instead of composite log.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

I don't have any experience with motor cycle engine tuning so forgive my ignorance.

I am wondering why VE AFR and SAT tables are all set to different kpa and rpm.

VE is set kpa 95 to 220 AFR is set kpa 0 to 100 SAT is set kpa 90 to 205.

This just looks very odd to me.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
andy short
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by andy short »

Have been to try and get a tooth log ,hopefully this has worked !!.
as for the ve tables and sat tables these were the setting on a basic map I started with and haven't touched ,any suggestions would be very welcome ,I feel it is so close now ,many thanks
Andy
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

try switching your ignition input capture edge from rising to falling or visa versa should make you have a single long tooth
andy short
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by andy short »

ok thanks will try that tomorrow ,thanks again.
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

About what should your idle and highest kpa numbers be?

About what should your idle and highest rpm numbers be?

These numbers will determine your kpa and rpm bins.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
andy short
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by andy short »

Hi I have made good steps forward over the last couple of days ,turning off the noise filter off seems to have made a difference to the higher revs and it will rev to 11000 no problem now .
Spent a couple of hours yesterday playing with the fuel map at the lower levels from tick over to higher revs when stabbing the throttle and it no longer stops at 5k and drops to 4k ,it now revs up cleanly with no hesitation. I realise I will have to make another rolling road session to complete the map because it wouldn't go beyond 7k last time ,but definitely making good progress .
ps didn't understand the post from turbo ????
cheers
Andy