Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

KEVINS
MS/Extra Newbie

First Start. Popping out the exhaust...=(

Post by KEVINS »

2002 Mustang GT 2V with COP's.
Running MS Pro.

Verified timing mark on balancer to TDC so this is 100% correct.
Set Fixed Timing in MS to 10*.
Verified timing with timing light and this is 100% correct.
Checked all injectors and COP's and these are 100% correct.

I just started the car for the first time and it started right up but it's popping out the exhaust. I'm still trying to figure out TS so I can't figure out what graph shows the popping. I will post the Tune file and the Log file and anything else that I think may help but can someone please look at them and see why it may be popping?

Kevin
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: First Start. Popping out the exhaust...=(

Post by elutionsdesign »

Well if you believe the AFR the poor thing is drowning in fuel. Get it started and adjust required fuel to keep it running about 12-13 AFR while it warms up.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

The data log is also showing 0 deg. timing from start to finish, but timing is set to 10 deg. fixed. :?

David

EDIT: word
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
KEVINS
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KEVINS »

elutionsdesign wrote:Well if you believe the AFR the poor thing is drowning in fuel. Get it started and adjust required fuel to keep it running about 12-13 AFR while it warms up.
It is drowning in fuel and I have a few people sending me updated tunes and we can't get it to stop flooding and we also can't get it to stop severely popping out the exhaust. It won't idle on it's own and if I hold the throttle open it fumigates the garage with gas fumes so bad that you can't breath after 10 seconds of running.
I need to somehow get it leaned out and maybe the popping will go away. OR I need to figure out why it's popping so I can try making adjustments while it's running. We have the timing fixed at 20* now but the popping never changed.

The latest tune and log is below.

ks
newtune2.msl
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

What is the timing light showing when engine is running?

The reason I ask is your second data log with timing set to 20 deg. fixed is still showing 0 deg.

Try changing Fixed advance to Use Table and see if the timing table is then active.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
KEVINS
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KEVINS »

I think we got it figured out.

I didn't understand how the firing order of the inj/coils worked and I have them on the wrong cylinders. This should cure my problems once I get them on the correct cylinders.

ks
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

KEVINS wrote:I think we got it figured out.

I didn't understand how the firing order of the inj/coils worked and I have them on the wrong cylinders. This should cure my problems once I get them on the correct cylinders.

ks
That should take care of the popping out of the exhaust but what about the timing showing 0 in TS?

David
KEVINS
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KEVINS »

turbo conversion wrote: That should take care of the popping out of the exhaust but what about the timing showing 0 in TS?

David
I'm new to TS and the logger and I don't see where you're seeing 0* as the actual "running timing". What setting in the logger are you looking at?
I'm looking at: SPK: Base Spark Advance and SPK: Spark Advance and both show 10* during the cranking and 20*. Are these the programmed settings?

Kevin
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I suggest you get the firing-order (coil wiring) sorted out, then post a new MSQ and MSL. Let's regroup here, once the engine is reasonably operable.
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

billr wrote:I suggest you get the firing-order (coil wiring) sorted out, then post a new MSQ and MSL. Let's regroup here, once the engine is reasonably operable.

I agree.

David
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

I had another look at the data log and saw where SPK was set to Spark Table 3.

I changed it to Base Spark Advance and presto Houston-we have advance, sorry :oops:

David
KEVINS
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KEVINS »

We got it figured out! No more popping so now continuing with the assembly of the car.

Thanks Gents for willing to help me on a weekend!

Regards
Kevin