Race Mode in TCU (WOT Lockup)

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

CameronVic
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Race Mode in TCU (WOT Lockup)

Post by CameronVic »

This may be longwinded, so bear with me.

MS v 2.6.19

Car is a 1999 crown vic, twin turbo LS/ 4L80e. MS3X for the engine, micro for the transmission controller. Connected with the CAN wires. Car goes mid 6s @ 111-112 in the 8th and 10.0s @ 139 in the 1/4.

I just pulled the 3.55s and put 3.73 gears in. With the 3.55s, I hit the traps at 6350rpms, with the converter unlocked. I have a triple disk converter, so I did some math, and went with 3.73s. That'll get me to 145 at 6500 rpms with the converter locked. That's at the upper end of what I believe the car could do with this setup.

Now, to the point. Does turning the race mode on simply allow the converter to be locked WOT, and it still uses the parameters from the settings in "Lockup per gear"? And does it use any of the settings above it? like the "lockup wait time"?

What I'm trying to avoid is damaging the converter by not commanding lockup properly.

This is what I have, denmah helped me come up with all of this. (Sorry for throwing you under the bus matt. LOL)

nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Race Mode in TCU (WOT Lockup)

Post by nathaninwa »

Race mode ignores the lockup table and locks up the converter at the defined time point after the shift

I'd recommend waiting a bit longer

I've thought about requesting an rpm lockup feature, so we can take advantage of the converter slip and lockup it up at a specified rpm or mph point

I went to a 3.25 gear setup in mine from a 3.89 setup. So far I have t needed to lock the converter but the track told me I needed a comp license to go any farther!

You can also have it use rpm based shifts as well. I have found about a 200 to 300 rpm delay at wot, so using. 6000 point will net you close to 6300
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
CameronVic
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by CameronVic »

I don't totally understand what you're saying. Based on my current settings, can you tell me what rpm/speed the tcu would command lockup?
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

The programming you have setup is once 3rd gear shift is detected it will lock the converter 1/10 of a second later

From my short experience so far at the strip, we need it unlocked for a bit while in each gear It almost lugs it kinda
CameronVic
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by CameronVic »

Gotcha. I thought that setting was only for if I wanted to lock it in 3rd and 4th, and that setting was how long after the unlock at the end of 3rd it would re lock it in 4th. I'll check out my datalog and determine how many seconds to let it run out in 3rd before I command the lockup.
xmas077
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by xmas077 »

Big fan of yours. Love reading through your threads on the different forums. Keep up the good work.
CameronVic
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by CameronVic »

Just did a pull in the car (closed course, professional driver) with the delay set to 2.5 seconds. That was the first number I figured I'd try, it's actually the biggest number allowed. It felt mean as hell. I can't wait to see what it does at the track! Thanks Nathan!
CameronVic
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by CameronVic »

xmas077 wrote:Big fan of yours. Love reading through your threads on the different forums. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the kind words man!
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Glad it's working out for you. Can you post a log and your tune? Last time I used rpm based shifting it was shifting early, way early so I have been running in manual mode and shifting by hand

I ran a 9.46@148 tonight for my final licensing pass with it missing on the big end some. I trapped around 6200rpm unlocked at this point. 3.25 gear with a 27inch 325/50/15
CameronVic
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by CameronVic »

I'll do another pull today and log it. I forgot to log this pull.
CameronVic
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by CameronVic »

Testing testing. Lemme know if ya'll can view this log.
CameronVic
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by CameronVic »

Did some comparing of a couple pulls. 85 to 130 is the cleanest area of the log, so that's what I looked at.

So with the 3.73, it covers the same speed range, .03 quicker, on about 1 less psi. I didn't change the boost controller settings when I did the gear change, because I knew it would load the engine slightly less, and I wanted to see what it would do to the average kpa. My ricer math indicated the 3.73 would be a step in the right direction, and this data is promising to me. I knew it wouldn't be any spectacular change, but it was worth the couple hours I put in. I got the gears for free from a buddy, so it only cost me time and a couple quarts of fluid.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

will the 3.73 give you the trap speed versus rpm your aiming for?
CameronVic
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by CameronVic »

Yep, 3.73 will get me to 145@6500 rpms locked in 3rd. That's at the upper end of what I think this setup will do.