Going lean under boost

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Dirt wave
MS/Extra Newbie

Going lean under boost

Post by Dirt wave »

I am having a strange problem.
Have idle, cruise, all levels of all the levels of excel enrichment set to keep the AFR in the 10-11 range.
Problem is as soon as boost starts to build it goes extremely lean in the area of 17-18 witch brings in a lean miss and the car falls on its face. Problem I am seeing on the gauges is the pulse width is only going to 10ms and falling to 8 after the map based excel times out.
I can't for the life of me save a data log if someone could dumb that down for me I would be happy to post one.

Running ms2 v3.57 fuel only.
Twin GM 645cfm TBI units with 4 94lbh injectors (80lbh at 12psi injectors being run at 20psi)
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Going lean under boost

Post by elutionsdesign »

Sounds more like a rich misfire given the AFR's you're targeting. All misfires look lean, its the nature of the oxygen sensor, a misfire doesn't consume the air available in the cylinder which moves into the exhaust and is read by the sensor.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Dirt wave
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dirt wave »

Ok thanks, I will start over with the ae setting.
Dirt wave
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dirt wave »

This may be the wrong place to ask this but can someone talk me through the set up of the data logger. I get nothing useful as I don't know what all of the acronym are for the data fields.
Have about had it with this thing not working properly.
Nearly 1k into it and still nothing.
Idle is good
Will only Rev to about 3800 under a load then falls on its face and will die if I stay on the throttle.
Ego correction is turned of no matter what numbers I put in the ve table there is no change.
Big thing is the pulse width on the injectors is staying low (that is where the data log would really come in handy)

Car ran well with the carbs would pull hard past 7500
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Tuner Studio up the top has File then Option then Data Logging. Go Data logging > logging profiles and select default and click accept. That should have you logging all you would need.
To actually start logging you can go Data Logging > Start logging then click on save and it will start logging. To stop it is Data logging > Stop logging.
Short cut for start is ctrl+ L and enter. Short cut to stop logging is ctrl+B.
Log will be saved to the datalog file in tuner studio projects and in your cars project folder. Whatever you have called it. data log file names have their time/date stamp as part of the name.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

If your issue is with viewing the logs read from here http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... .4-45.html
Cheers Luke
Dirt wave
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dirt wave »

Thanks to help of the people here I am now getting data I can use.
Now all I need to do if figure out how to post the darn things so maybe one of the fine folks on here can tell me what I have wrong.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Click on the "Forum Help Page" quick link up the top in the page header. Scroll down and there is a run through of how to attach MSQ and MSL in postings.
Cheers Luke
Dirt wave
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dirt wave »

now im getting "sorry the board attachment quota has been reached" problem is as you can see there are no attachments
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I have seen a couple of other posts saying that they have the same issue. Hopefully the board mods will make some room and you will be able to post your files up soon.
Cheers Luke
Dirt wave
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dirt wave »

Hopefully, I have hit a wall in the tunning prosses and it's hard to beg help when the experienced people can't see where I am messing up.
Dirt wave
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dirt wave »

hooray, got them to load.
I do need to add that I have taken the turbos off in an effort to get the tune correct

still running 4 low z injectors with a calculated flow of 146.1lbh(80# at 12psi beening run at 40 psiMy
327sbc with duel 645cfm throttle bodies

I did notice my battery voltage is all over the place on this log. during this log my alternator is disconnected(windings exploded)
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

You have EGO correction turned on in that log, authority of 80% and PID control so it's all over the place trying to respond to the lean spikes from the O2 sensor. Maybe better in troubleshooting to turn that off completely and take another log to see what happens to AFR (would it still be all over the place?). How are you getting your rpm input? I see its fuel only. It looks like misfires but I don't directly see any reason in the log, it would be nice to have a better battery voltage as in stable and closer to 13.5V.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Dirt wave
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dirt wave »

Ok I will get another log with ego correction turned off. The voltage being all over the place doesn't make any sense unless I have some bad connections some where. I am trying to figure that out right now.

I am getting TAC signal from the negative lead on a petronix Hall sensor. That is running to the msd 6al.
Dirt wave
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dirt wave »

Well the good news is I got the cutting out fixed turns out my ignition module was cutting the spark intermittently.

Now for the bad news using a gm small cap hei running a crane hi6 and coil. The problem is I cant get it to use the spark table.

It is wired
DB37 pin #36 to the E pin on the HEI module
DB37 pin #24 to the R pin on the HEI module
5v reference from tps (verified by volt meter)

I think I have all the settings correct in tuner studio but I still have no advance control.
No matter what numbers I put on spark table it stays at the base timing according to the timing lite.

I have attached the msq and an idle data log.

thanks in advance for looking at my mess
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

You have the spark output pin set to JS10 when I believe it should be D14 per the manual. I also assume you have run the jumper wire from PAD1 to the middle pin of Q16?

Dirt wave
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dirt wave »

I bought the ms2 complete from diy autotune.
Says it is jumped for GM hei.
That is another problem I don't know what I am doing as far as jumping things around on the board
What wire is the d14 connected to on the db37

The computer will change what I see with the timing light at the crank if I change the trigger angle so it has the ability to move the timing just will not control it per the table.

Sorry for the ignorance I pulled the case off of the ecm and none of it made any sense.
I have as of yet been unable to find information on how the ms2 v357 board is assembled. This is all I know

Hall Sensor/Coil(-) and VR Sensor Ignition Trigger Components (jumpered for Hall sensor, optical sensor, points, or fuel only using negative coil input- you can reconfigure for any input you like)
Current Limiting Circuit Components
5 volt ignition output (JS10 jumpered directly to pin 36) for EDIS, Bosch 124, or GM HEI ignition control
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

D14 on our ready to run MS2s is not wired to the DB37 unless special ordered. Check if you have anything wired to PAD1.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Dirt wave
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dirt wave »

Thanks I will look into it.
Dirt wave
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dirt wave »

Well I managed to get the ms2 jumpered for hei.
Works well till I hook up the 5v reference it dies and will not start had no spark.

Not sure what I have wrong this time will ad the msq in a few.
Thanks again in advance.