Breaking up under load - possibly TC?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Ghostin
MS/Extra Newbie

Breaking up under load - possibly TC?

Post by Ghostin »

Hey Guys, could use some help -

Setup is 5.3/ 4l80. I have had zero issues up until I blew a head gasket and put in another bottom end, same heads. The previous bottom end saw 22lbs and pulled hard. Now I am breaking up around 4K and the engine is flat. Compression is 150 all around. Take a look at the data log and let me know what your thoughts are please.

Can someone help me understand how TC slip and trans slip are calculated and what the values tell me. Could really use some help interpreting this. I believe I have a TC issue but just looking for some more input as to what the data is saying. Also, reason codes. 68 I have seen previously when my a/f was off. Tune may be off some as I've tried to correct prior to thinking I had a TC issue. Any input on interpreting slip and the lost sync/ reason codes is much appreciated.

Thanks
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Breaking up under load - possibly TC?

Post by billr »

TC slip is the difference between engine rpm and the trans turbine speed, it will be zero if the TC is locked solid.

Trans slip is determined by comparing the turbine speed (trans input shaft) to vehicle speed (trans output shaft), with the commanded trans gear factored in. If the input and output speeds aren't in the precise mathematical ratio prescribed by the gear commanded, then one of the clutches engaged for that gear is slipping, or some mechanical part (gear, spline, shaft, etc) is broken.

Edit: Is the "breakup" coincident with that big "rich" plateau in the VE table? Why is that there?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

looks like sync loss from the pick with duty cycle and rpm dropping to zero
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Ghostin
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Ghostin »

grom_e30 wrote:looks like sync loss from the pick with duty cycle and rpm dropping to zero
Thanks Guys. The map looks how it does due to running out of injector with the previous setup. I made quick changes after the block change to compensate for the engine running flat, so the mapping looks bad, but atleast I don't think.. it has anything to do with the TC unlocking/ slipping,lost sync followed by injector dropout/ RPM dive... I'm just not sure if the slipping/ lockup issue would cause the characteristics I'm seeing and why it happens consistently, which leads me to believe I have a TC issue..
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

look at sync loss in the log that means you are losing your rpm signal which your are
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????