aem dyno shaft

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: aem dyno shaft

Post by jsmcortina »

Different tools. Torque measurement gives actual results.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
motthomas
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by motthomas »

Yves wrote:for that price you are getting close to an in cylinder pressure measurement system, which offers more info for tuning.
I'd be curious where you are able to get an in cylinder pressure measurement system for £2k...
dnz
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dnz »

motthomas wrote:
Yves wrote:for that price you are getting close to an in cylinder pressure measurement system, which offers more info for tuning.
I'd be curious where you are able to get an in cylinder pressure measurement system for £2k...
I'd say he was referring to this
jammy86 wrote:The magcanica solution is ~£16000 :)
motthomas
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by motthomas »

Ah fair enough. My bad. Even at that you would be struggling.

The idea of having a direct torque measurement on a vehicle is very cool but I fail to see the advantage it would give over a steady state dyno. Even the previous £2k will get you enough dyno time to calibrate multiple vehicles and the result will be most likely more accurate & repeatable than a calibration derived from driving the vehicle on a road or track.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

motthomas wrote:Ah fair enough. My bad. Even at that you would be struggling.

The idea of having a direct torque measurement on a vehicle is very cool but I fail to see the advantage it would give over a steady state dyno. Even the previous £2k will get you enough dyno time to calibrate multiple vehicles and the result will be most likely more accurate & repeatable than a calibration derived from driving the vehicle on a road or track.
I had an offer for a system US$ 7000. This was with a datalogger with 8 channels and 1 spark plug. Additional spark plugs are around US$ 1500 a piece, but as long as we are talking about tuning, one would suffice.
I even believe the system estimates power production based on the pressure developed which is not anything out of the ordinary.

The advantage over a dyno shop is that you have the system always at your hands, meaning that you are able to retune if you make changes. And let's be honest, most of constantly change things while we're at it... :D

I have an old heenan froude dyno here. The issue is that with all the sensory, provisions for cooling water, trying to keep the car cool, a platform to put the car on rollers etc is still a large task, requires place and a load of money to complete.
jacky4566
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacky4566 »

jammy86 wrote:The magcanica solution is ~£16000 :) It is very good though and an interesting technology. In F1 it is a homologated sensor mandated by the FIA to keep an eye on the engine performance. The strain gauge ones which are used for driveshafts and the like are wireless. You can get a single shaft done for about £1.5k, the reciever is ~£500 from Texense/texys.
:o :o :o

motthomas The holy grail is having an instant torque measurement system for <$500. This is basically taking the idea of MAF replacing MAP to a new level. With some cleaver software you could slap this system on any motor and have it run at peak power all the time with minimal or no tuning.
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

Matt Cramer wrote:There have been some better shaft-mounted strain gauges developed; one was recently used to measure horsepower on a Top Fuel dragster.
At the Colorado NHRA Nationals Jimmy Prock showed the strain gauge they used.

It is mounted around the shaft between the clutch and differential.

He said they measured the horse power at a little over 11,000.

He did not elaborate on the cost but you know it was cheap. :lol:

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd