high idle, only after pressing accelerator

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

GZinga
MS/Extra Newbie

high idle, only after pressing accelerator

Post by GZinga »

Developed this very strange problem recently. Yesterday I installed a weather pack firewall connector. before I was just running my wires through a grommet. Ive always had a high idle of about 900 rpm so while i was in the engine bay i pulled my tbi unit and adapter plate and put new gaskets in to rule out any vacuum leak. After putting it all back together my engine now wants to run at 1800-2000rpm. i've double checked my firing order and lowered my initial tomong to 8 degrees btdc. none of this really did anything so I went back to a old tune that, while a little rich tends to fix my problems. now on that tune, once i start it it will run at 800 rpm but once i press the pedal and get it above 1500 rpm it picks up and idles at 2000.

SBC 350 stock heads and cam 5.7l tbi unit with 55lb injectors.
running MS2 wirh a vacuum advance distributor
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: high idle, only after pressing accelerator

Post by turbo conversion »

Try setting your Idle Control Algorithm to IAC Stepper Always On.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
GZinga
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by GZinga »

an update:

pulled my entire ms harness and de-pinned the connector. soldered all the pins and then reassembled and triple checked the pinouts. Fuel pump relay is still not being triggered by the megasquirt, which is strange but that wasn't my focus for today. it is now behaving somewhat normally but not 100%. I need some serious help with ignition timing. please, explain it to me like i'm 5, call me an idiot, hurt my feelings. I'm using a vacuum advance distributor. This is a fuel only setup. Right now with the vacuum advance disconnected, the engine is set to 6 degrees of timing and idleing at about 850. What ever I do, I cannot get the megasquirt and my timing light to match. Changes made it the timing wizard have no effect. where am I wrong?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

You say you are running fuel only so there is no way the MS could possibly influence the timing.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke