Wavy AFR, even after 6 drive and VE autotunes

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

beast02
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Wavy AFR, even after 6 drive and VE autotunes

Post by beast02 »

I have been working on drive tuning the car for the last few months. They aren't the longest drives (~3 miles), but I would expect doing the same drive, my tune to be pretty decent by now.

The issue I am seeing when I am driving, and when I look at the log, is the AFR seems to bounce up and down. It's not horrible to drive......but when I look at the log, this obviously needs to be smoothed out. The VE analyze has done the smoothing after each drive I do (I turned off auto tune when driving a while back).

The car is in pure Alpha N mode right now (other details in sig below), and if you look at my TPS bins, I have a high number of them in the lower TPS % to try and get more fidelity at the lower TPS positions (as per an ITB car).

I'm kinda stumped on how to smooth out the RPM and would love to get this figured out so I can start adding Accel and Decel enrichment!

Thanks,

Bryan
2005 Ford Duratec 2.0L (Stock, using stock CAM and VR sensors and locations)
MS3X 3.57
Ford COP sequential ignition (Jbperf 4 channel driver board)
GSXR750 ITB's
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Wavy AFR, even after 6 drive and VE autotunes

Post by elutionsdesign »

The bulk of what you see as wavering AFR is coming from your EGO step size of 2%, I'd drop it to 1 or even 0.5%, or go to PID control. One odd thing I can't quite understand is your Alpha-N based table isn't following your actual TPS well at all, there are several times in the log you're clearly off the throttle (TPS 1-2%) and its up in the 20's on the load and never drops. Not sure if it's overly filtered or not correctly calibrated? Your fuel table looks like a VEAL table, you need to go back into that and smooth a lot of the "islands" of fuel out. And your running really lean (IMHO) at WOT, about 15:1 at 4000 rpm and 88 KPa. No reason you can't enable accel enrichment now.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
beast02
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by beast02 »

I'm not sure if it's related to what you see (TPS and Alpha N not matching when not on the throttle, 20's for the load), but there is a slight throttle opening that is causing the 1-2% throttle at idle and 1300-1500rpm idle speed. I think it's due to over stretched return springs in the ITB's (from motorcycle). I have fix in work that I will hopefully have done by spring tuning time.

Thanks for the input, i'll make the adjustments and see how it responds.

-Bryan
MS3X 3.57
GSXR750 ITB's
beast02
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by beast02 »

I turned off the EGO so it did not affect it, took it for a drive and the AFR reading was drastically better. Thanks for the tip!
MS3X 3.57
GSXR750 ITB's