X-Tao and when to use it.

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Steven
Helpful MS/Extra'er

X-Tao and when to use it.

Post by Steven »

Firstly apologies for not posting a MSQ and Log (again), but I believe i have just had a Eureka moment. the idle on my vehicle especially when hot will be rock solid for a while then start to go lean and eventually very rich. i originally thought it could be a symptom of heat soak into the IAT sensor or hot air entering the air-cleaner (its in a stupid but temporary location) and i see no evidence of this on tuner studio. however the air coming out of the inter-cooler is very cold at idle (output is chilly with lots of condensation on it, input toasty) i would hazard a guess that the cycle is about ten seconds getting leaner then it will swing rich and stay there. When i try to drive away it is a black smoking beast for about 10-20 seconds then clears and its OK until i stop. i'll take a log tonight and post it tomorrow, lunch time is almost over...

so back the point when we talk about x-Tao i had in my mind fractions of seconds, is this the case or could we be seeing larger cycle times.

also i have just had another Eureka moment... i am using an LS truck TB and the idle is being handled by the IAC valve which is at the top of the TB, the fuel could be pooling on the upstream side of the butterfly until its opened. the bottom of the butterfly goes up stream and the top downstream.

bloody hell and another one... the TB was originally supposed to have a hot water supply going to the bottom of the valve but i neglected to hook it up during the latest update, would that help?

rattling away here i think i'm answering my own questions as i go... at least i'm not talking to myself!
Steven
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: X-Tao and when to use it.

Post by Steven »

and the other thing is i cant find anything on X-Tao in the manuals, i know i have read it somewhere because i know about it...
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

What firmware are you using?

X-Tao was in older firmware.

Is it throttle body injection or port injection?

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It is X-Tau, as in the Greek letter for T, and is found in MS2 B&G code and MS3 but not in MS2/Extra. I suspect searching for X-Tao will give you mostly results from people who have given up on the teachings of Lao Tzu.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

+1 to that
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
Steven
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Steven »

It was a thought if it's not worth pursuing right now I'll put it on the back burner for a while. I got a good lead that may explain my problems on another post. Fuel regulator pluming...
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

X-Tau (thanks Matt) is for Acceleration and Deceleration enrichment.

MS2 Extra uses EAE (enhanced acceleration enrichment) this would not help your issue any way.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Steven wrote:i am using an LS truck TB and the idle is being handled by the IAC valve which is at the top of the TB, the fuel could be pooling on the upstream side of the butterfly until its opened. the bottom of the butterfly goes up stream and the top downstream.
Are you saying you modified an LS truck throttle body to work as a TBI?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Steven
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Steven »

Matt, yes a bit of a 'cut and shut' but it somewhat works. I started with a plenum chamber and the TB on the front of it but that didn't work so it was repurposed... I do get a certain pleasure from making things from junk.