ITB Mode ... %Baro Switchpoint - When to change it ....

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

ITB Mode ... %Baro Switchpoint - When to change it ....

Post by dll67 »

When would you want to change %Baro from 90% ? "The MAP value where tuning switches from TPS based to MAP based"
I believe my setup may want something different and from what Ive read everything is based on the %Baro.

My engine is 540 CI with a cam that has more than 300 degrees of duration and a 2200 CFM throttle body, backed by a manual transmission. Cruise at 50 MPH has the MAP around 60 kpa and 5% TPS and I rarely use more than 15% TPS. I know the throttle body is way to big.
I have tried SD tuning and AN tuning and neither worked well enough everywhere in the load range to be manageable.
Ive read the posts and manual on tuning ITB Mode and it sounds like its my next step in tuning. Ive worked out the switchpoints based on that 90%Baro switchpoint but am not convinced that its right for my engine. I have not found direction on how to extract from my data logs the actual %Baro number, only how to find the 90% Baro number.
I have AN datalogs but their all to large to post without trimming down, tonite. If theres interest Ill work on that tomorrow.
MS3PU/IOx/CAN-EGT/DBWx2 540ci BBC 325cc int runners (2)innovate LC2 wbo2's, Hilborn ITB injector cnvrtd to EFI, 55LB Inj, d585 coil near plg, 60-2 trg whl & cam ph snsr, Muncie 4spd w/10T VSS, Tilton 7.25" cerametalic cltch 8.5LB flywhl
dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: ITB Mode ... %Baro Switchpoint - When to change it ....

Post by dll67 »

OP
When looking at the MSL file am I looking for points where TPS and MAP cross as %Baro switchpoint?
MS3PU/IOx/CAN-EGT/DBWx2 540ci BBC 325cc int runners (2)innovate LC2 wbo2's, Hilborn ITB injector cnvrtd to EFI, 55LB Inj, d585 coil near plg, 60-2 trg whl & cam ph snsr, Muncie 4spd w/10T VSS, Tilton 7.25" cerametalic cltch 8.5LB flywhl
Dennis_Zx7r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis_Zx7r »

I believe my setup may want something different
Why do you think that?

As a comparison:
This is a typical datalog for me. 90% baro would be about 88kpa in this plot, the highlighted points.
rpmVsTpsVsMap2.png
This is my TpsSwitch curve for this engine. It's quite non-linear, the manual suggests anticipating something more easily interpolated. However, even with these low TPS values (yes, it's a switchpoint of 1.6% at idle) and I suspect a worse MAP (you only posted one value), the throttle response is very nice. Im heavily dependent on a smooth transition when acceleration with lean angle out of a corner, as this is more a less a racebike. The only time I thought I could feel the transition was with a low LF for TPS and MAP, which killed my AE. After setting both to 100 quite a while ago, I never experienced something like it again and am very satisfied with it.
itbLoadTpsSwitch.png
As another comparison, this is the lower part of my tables showing the values around the switching point. Idle is around 40%load. After experimenting quite a bit, i settled for 50%LoadAtTPSSwitchpoint all through the rev range as is the standard and suggested in the manual.
ve_lower.png
My project: Link
dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dll67 »

Thank you for the examples

I'm thinking like that because I have not read any manuals on how exactly that point is chosen or why. I believe my install is not like most.
I have not fine tuned idle to absolute highest MAP at idle, I idle between 70-80 kpa, it varies allot with my intake overlap. I estimate my effective WOT is well below 50% tps, the car currently will not hook up in any gear anywhere near what actual WOT is.
I've found much excellent direction as well as examples on setting the curves but only use 90%baro "it should work for most".

I'm only looking to be thorough and understand better what settings effect what.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

I need to see data logs off the SD and AN tuning. It is really easy to spot a motor that needs AN tuning when looking at the logs.

My bet is SD is the way to go.

Andy
dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dll67 »

I know the alpha n is a right and I think the other is a speed density datalog. Its been awhile since I ran speed density

heres a alpha n datLOG
2016-09-05_16.59.30.msl
I believe this is speed density
2015-06-14_20_modified.msl