Possible AE Issue, Hesitation on V8 with Throttle Body Inj

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

39EM
MS/Extra Newbie

Possible AE Issue, Hesitation on V8 with Throttle Body Inj

Post by 39EM »

I have been working with WhittleBeast on this project.

-Dedicated (non street legal or streetable) autocross car. 2400# weight.
-363 c.i. Small Block Ford, 525ish HP, Super Victor Carb Intake, LS coil near plug.
-MS3 Gold V3.57
-"4 Barrel"Throttle Body Injection with 4-85lb injectors. I am not sure how to quantify the primary/secondary opening, the primary goes first for only about 5% of the opening, then secondaries come in.

Overall, car runs very well, but I have been fighting a hesitation on throttle opening. As an autocross car, violent throttle movements are about all it does. We put some crazy AE rates in and it has gotten it pretty good, but it still does it. You can see it at 133:00, 139:00, 143:00 and 146:00 on the log.

Andy tends to think that we are running into the limitation of the throttle body injection combined with the big open manifold.

I certainly don't know enough to say otherwise, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of things to look at or try changing?

Thanks in advance and I hope I gave enough info.

DaveW
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Possible AE Issue, Hesitation on V8 with Throttle Body I

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I use a 4 bbl 1000cfm FAST throttle body on a 350ci engine. I have changed my secondary linkage so I get more like 1/4 primary opening before secondaries kick in. I use a medium rise dual plane edelbrock LD4B. I think a fair bit of your problem would be the big super victor single plane.
Noticed an error in your tune. You have it set for fully sequential which is not only impossible for a TBI but will also be ignoring your 4 squirts per cycle setting.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke