SBF starting/idle issues

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: SBF starting/idle issues

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

billr wrote:" I think it's time to swap in the DIS and start from scratch."

Yeah, if/when you get past all this TFI stuff, you will still have the poorer timing accuracy of a dizzy and the short-dwell limitations problems of a single-coil system. Why bother if you are eventually going DIS?
I wanted to make sure the issues are within the TFI and not the MS.
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

Hoopty5.0 wrote:
billr wrote:" I think it's time to swap in the DIS and start from scratch."

Yeah, if/when you get past all this TFI stuff, you will still have the poorer timing accuracy of a dizzy and the short-dwell limitations problems of a single-coil system. Why bother if you are eventually going DIS?
I wanted to make sure the issues are within the TFI and not the MS.
Or an issue with the original wiring harness when you did the engine swap.
Just thought of something...you've mated & de-mated the 60-pin Ford connector numerous times. It's possible a pin has pushed part way out. They lock in place, but 1 of the 2 tabs on the pin might have broken allowing it to push back & not make a connection.
I got a spare connector from a junkyard & have used the pins & wire to fill the spare holes where I needed additional inputs in my connector's harness. Point being: they can be removed & inserted without special tools.
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

^ I'll check into this.

On that note, I have to say I am honestly burned out. I've been working on this with every spare moment I have for a couple of months now with not a lot to show for it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next, but I need a break. When I figure someething out, I'll update, but for the short term, I'll be traveling this month and wont have much time to mess with it.

Thank you all for your time and input, it is greatly appreciated.

Edit* I've also emailed DIY a few times over the past few weeks asking about why the SPOUT being out is killing spark, but have yet to get a response. I haven't given up hope that that has a hand in this issue.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It's not easy for me to match a screen name to an email, but I seem to have received a similar message and responded to it last week. Please check your spam folder to make sure it didn't accidentally get flagged as junk mail.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

Matt Cramer wrote:It's not easy for me to match a screen name to an email, but I seem to have received a similar message and responded to it last week. Please check your spam folder to make sure it didn't accidentally get flagged as junk mail.
Negative. My name is Collin, I sent another email yesterday to support@diyautotune.com about the TFI issue. Thanks!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

OK, I checked and it looks like I replied at 5:01 PM Eastern time yesterday.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

Matt Cramer wrote:OK, I checked and it looks like I replied at 5:01 PM Eastern time yesterday.
I just found it. It was in the double secret probation folder. Thanks!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

So, is it fair to say you have been getting responses from DIY, but they have been lost in your security/spam filters?
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

billr wrote:So, is it fair to say you have been getting responses from DIY, but they have been lost in your security/spam filters?
It's fair to say that one of my emails was responded to, yes, if you feel like that point needed to be made again.
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

It's also fair to say that i sent the emails over the holidays and didn't expect to hear much back, but I felt like covering my bases by saying I had emailed them.
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

Here's a good video showing the issue I'm having still. Timing is fixed in the video, but does the same off the table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5do9XAxZ0Ew
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

Dumb question - Can I jumper 12v to the start signal in (pin 4 on TFI) while the engine is running to force the TFI to ignore the spout signal so I can set base timing??

I understand that the computer only controls advance via the spark out (pin 5). It is also true that the computer cannot reduce the advance any lower than what the base timing is. I also understand that the coil always has 12v to it and that the ICM grounds the coil to fire it based on base timing OR the computer's advance command. True so far???

If the car won't run with the spout out, it stands to reason that the ICM might be bad, but I've put 3 seperate (grey) modules in and even had them retested to make sure they're good. I cannot use a black TFI because the harness nor the ECM are pinned for it.

If not the ECM or the TFI, then what? The pickup? What does the spout out have to do with the function of the pick up?? That doesn't make sense. What does that leave... bad grounding?
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

Turns out the pickup in the distributor is bad.
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

Hoopty5.0 wrote:Turns out the pickup in the distributor is bad.
How did you determine that?
Run these tests: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... stic.shtml
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

Update again.

I installed new pickup in my cheep-o chinese distributor and was still having the same issue. Bypassed the MSD box and the issue went away finally. Turns out I missed a wire on the MSD harness. When I bought the box, it came with a harness, but it wasnt THE harness for my application. I assumed it was, plugged in the plugs and went about my business, not knowing that the white wire for spark advance was dangling around behind my dash.

It's fixed and I really really appreciate everyone's help.

:yeah!:

https://youtu.be/Hv6cBiUk63M
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

I told you it was a wiring or harness error.
The test procedure I gave you would have found it.
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

Blown88GT wrote:I told you it was a wiring or harness error.
The test procedure I gave you would have found it.
That you did. I did un-loom the entire TFI and ignition harness in the engine bay and inspect it, just didn't look under the dash. :roll:

...Still swapping to DIS. Im still studying the internal mods needed to drive the ingiter-less LS coils. Going to be a work in progress for the next few months.
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

There is nothing under the dash that relates to the TFI, unless that's where your MSD box is.
You don't actually need the Ford TFI adapter harness, it just makes it easier.
Hoopty5.0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hoopty5.0 »

MSD is in the glove box.