ITB Mode - Multiply BARO for Alpha-N Portion of Fuel MAP

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

indiewannabe
MS/Extra Newbie

ITB Mode - Multiply BARO for Alpha-N Portion of Fuel MAP

Post by indiewannabe »

Currently I am running Alpha-N for fuel and ignition via a MSIII Pro running firmware 1.3.4. This is installed on a 1990 BMW M3. The engine is a four cylinder with individual throttle bodies. My current alpha-n tune is using the Multiply MAP option which in my case is multiplying the output of the ambient barometric pressure sensor. I plan to switch to individual throttle body mode for my fuel load. When I do, I would prefer to keep the multiply MAP option, but I want what is multiplied to change as I change from the speed density portion of the tune to the alpha-n portion of the tune. I would like to multiply the MAP sensor output when I am in the speed density portion of the ITB tune and multiply the barometric sensor output when I am in the alpha-N portion of the ITB tune. I am running two MAP sensors. Right now one is redundant. When I switch to ITB, one will be a MAP sensor and one will be a real time baro sensor.

First is it possible to make the multiply MAP behave like I want? How would I accomplish this? Is there a reason I shouldn't try to accomplish this dual multiply MAP functionality? My reason for wanting to do this is to have some barometric/elevation correction to the alpha-n portion of my tune. Is there a better way to get barometric correction to the alpha-n part of my fuel map? I am aware of a lot of confusion concerning MS baro correction. I may be confused too. :D As I understand it, the typical MS baro correction is for exhaust back pressure. The change in manifold pressure due to barometric pressure is accounted for by the MAP sensor in speed density. When outside air pressure changes, the MAP sensor "sees" this change. But, as I understand, if you are using alpha-N, you only get exhaust back pressure baro correction, unless you do something like multiply the baro sensor output. I'm not sure how the multiply MAP works in ITB mode. By default would it be multiplying over the entire fuel map or just during speed density part of the fuel map?

Thanks,

Brad
Dennis_Zx7r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: ITB Mode - Multiply BARO for Alpha-N Portion of Fuel MAP

Post by Dennis_Zx7r »

MultiplyMap works in both SD and AlphaN area of the table as far as I know.
Because of this, you already have kind of multiplied the baro in for the AlphaN area. Simply because MAP is always between 90% baro just after the switchpoint and practically 100% baro above that.
Plotting LoadVsMap should look something like this (Baro between 96 and 98kpa, switching load 50%):
LoadVsMap.png
MAP equaling baro only applies to NA-engines of course.
My project: Link
indiewannabe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by indiewannabe »

Ah, MAP being nearly equivalent to baro for the aplha-n portion of the tune makes sense. Thanks Dennis.
Dennis_Zx7r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis_Zx7r »

As I understand it, the whole point of using ITB instead of SpeedDensity is that the MAP signal is completely unreliable above a certain point, as one can easily see in the graph - MAP and required fuel just stop correlating where the curve goes flat. A mistake on my part though, this plot would have been better displaying the relevant factor %baro ([Barometer]/[MAP]*100) instead of MAP.
baroPercVSLoad.png
My project: Link