I have an issue with the way WUE works

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

alfaJunior105
Helpful MS/Extra'er

I have an issue with the way WUE works

Post by alfaJunior105 »

I’ve got a problem with WUE

If I start the car when it’s cold and leave it idling, I need to add enrichment right up to the point where the Temp hits about 70 C, otherwise the car will be too cold and will stall.
At roughly 70 C , the stepper motor will be fully closed and the WUE be 100%. (i.e. zero enrichment).

If I leave it running, the fan kicks in around 80 deg C and shuts off around 70-75c.

On a cold day, If I take the car out for a drive the cold air coming through the engine bay can drop the engine temp down to as low as 60C .

The problem is, once the enrichment cycle is complete the engine is warm and idles fine, even at 60C, but it seems MS looks at the Coolant t temp, sees its 60 and kicks off the enrichment process again.
This causes the engine to run rich, and the stepper motor to open up .

If there some way the warmup process can be stopped from kicking off again ? i.e. can it be made to only run once for each time the engine is started?

thanks Sam

the Car is an 1979 Alfa Romeo converted from Carbs -all alloy motor
Tuner Studio : v3.0.10 (2015079)
other details see signature

Sam
MS3 v3board
V1.4.0 firmware, ITB Mode, Batch injection
4 gsxr750 Throttle bodies
14point7 AFR controller
EDIS4 ignition
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: I have an issue with the way WUE works

Post by krisr »

Generally your WUE should be finished just under your thermostat opening point. It sounds like you have an air temp correction problem. Have you taken note of the air temps when you tuned your engine so you can set that temperature point to 100% in the MAT air density table? You will need to adjust that table either side of your tuned air temp point.
Sydney, Australia
1971 Holden Monaro HQ
MS3X Sequentially fuelled 400 Pontiac
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

What temperature thermostat are you using.

I use a 195 deg. f and on a 20 deg. f day while driving my temperature will stay between 175 to 180.

I have my WUE set to go off at 160 deg so unless I stop for an extended period of time WUE does not reactivate.

I also have my EGO correction activating at 160 deg. so any small correction needed is handled from 160 to 175.

Don't know if it will work for you but it works great for my set up.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
alfaJunior105
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by alfaJunior105 »

Just to clarify - in my original post when I referred to Temp, I meant Coolant Temp

When I tuned idle, i just terminated WUE when I felt the engine was ready to idle without any WUE
I never actually considered the thermostat opening point, In fact I haven't even checked to see if its stuck open or even removed altogether. !

I haven't done anything with the MAT table or the air temps when I tuned the engine.
Everything is set at 100% unless the Manifold Air Temp rises above 78.8 C. (which I don''t think it ever does)

I'll have another look tomorrow night and see where the Mat temp is at, but I'm confused because I read somewhere that you should rarely (if ever) change the
MAT Table. I thought the MS already looks at the MAP, MAT and applies the ''Ideal Fuel Law' built automatically.
MS3 v3board
V1.4.0 firmware, ITB Mode, Batch injection
4 gsxr750 Throttle bodies
14point7 AFR controller
EDIS4 ignition
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

MAT does not control WUE coolant does, that is why I asked about the thermostat.

If the thermostat does not work correctly then the coolant temps will be all over the place.

You may or may not need to tune MAT but it will not trigger WUE.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd