Best WBO2

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Best WBO2

Post by radiogareth »

I've had a techEdge WBO2 for around 10 years and its been fine. My son now lives away and needs to tune his Zetec on ITB's. He has no need of a guage as such as he will be running tunerstudio on a tablet and can see the AFR there if he wants.
So recommendations sought from the MS community. Accuracy, reliability, spares availability, pricing, roughly in that order.

TIA

Gareth
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Best WBO2

Post by kjones6039 »

Take a look at the products from http://www.14point7.com. I think they meet most of your requirements.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

14point7 or Techedge get my vote - just make sure he runs an LSU 4.9.
irodd
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by irodd »

14point7

+1
MS3Pro PNP, Mazdaspeed Miata 2004
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

I used to be a big 14point7 fan and to a degree still am, but I just bought a Spartan 2 and it seems to have an odd issue with the output sometimes "freezing".

I'm apparently not the only one having the problem: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!categ ... xYKyqCqEgc
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

I've been a fan with using the standard Bosh sensors which are multi-fuel complient (petrol, leaded fuel, E85, diesel), readily available and inexpensive. Several of the known digital controllers use them such as Innovate, AEM, etc. Think I purchased a Innovate MTX-L & LC1-02 system including sensor, gauge, controller and cabling for around $135USD. Given the complexity and sensitivity of these sensors I think that is very good value. So yes they are;
1/ Accurate
2/ Reliable
3/ Spares available
4/ Inexpensive

I did need to use alternate calibration values in MSPNP to get accurate data but believe this is more an MS issue than Innovate as gauge was reading correctly. Its a good idea to have a separate gauge for this cross-check purpose.

jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

FWIW.... I wouldn't have an Innovate as a precious gift! IMO they are a POS!!!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

kjones6039 wrote:FWIW.... I wouldn't have an Innovate as a precious gift! IMO they are a POS!!!

Ken
Interesting comment. Lots of others use and sensor is Bosch so not sure where the problem is. Do tell.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
jacky4566
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacky4566 »

Had good luck with my 14point7. Didnt realize he just released a CAN system. d***.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

I have found the Dynojet Wideband 2 stuff to be very good.

Andy
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

I own a number of 14point7 products (SLC_DIY(1), SLC_PP2, just got a couple SLC_OEMs to play with), they are my go to. Can't beat the features vs cost of them. I use my SLC_DIY in my T-bucket currently. A friend is using my PP2 in his MS3Pro equipped '67 Firebird.

I also have an AEM Failsafe that I got for a good price and decided to try it out. It works well as well, just pricey if bought new. This is currently installed in my Datsun

I have also used Innovate LC-1, I've owned a couple of these. They worked well, just the serial communication with the device was the reason I sold them, I was sick of dealing with flaky USB to serial converters and couldn't find known reliable converters, even the real expensive ones (at the time) that were said to be very reliable I found reviews that said that there could be issues. If I knew then what I know now about serial communications I'd likely still use them. *shrug* Proper grounding is VERY important for Innovate products, otherwise that's when people run into issues it seems.

I have owned a PLX R500, interesting piece, could have been great if it wasn't constantly locking up in warm weather, would not recommend. Outdated model anyway. I haven't used any newer PLX products to know if they are better or not.
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

benckj - the Innovates don't properly drive the sensor according to the Bosch TDP. The biggest problem with this is shortened sensor life but what that means is inaccurate readings over time unless you constantly "calibrate." Don't get me wrong there are controllers that properly drive the sensor that also use free-air calibration (and don't use the Rcal) that work pretty well, but I wouldn't count the Innovate stuff amongst them.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Thanks for sharing info. I'll re-cal mine and keep an eye on it.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
john.p.clegg
Running MSx/Extra

Post by john.p.clegg »

WBO2 ( Techedge ) 7 Years no problems whatsoever

John

Happy bunny
Last edited by john.p.clegg on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

The only caveat I offer with the TechEdge stuff is that they are in Australia and sometimes difficult to reach. Their products are top-notch, but the documentation is in shambles for some products (especially some of the DIY stuff) and their website does not exactly instill confidence in purchasing. I actually emailed Peter to ask if they were still in business before my last purchase because the website hadn't been updated in a year and I didn't even know how to pay securely...

The products themselves are pretty well thought out and work GREAT.

But moving forward I'm very likely to move over to 14point7 especially with the MS-centric CANBus product line he just announced.
mrx79
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mrx79 »

Hi,

i have a LSU 4.2 TechEdge WBO2 which is several years old now and serves me a good job. I use it as a portable unit if i have to measure something on a friends car.
Then i had a LC1 permanently in my car but was never fully happy with it, especialy the heater learning procedure once you unplug the sensor and power up the unit was anoying.

Now i switched to a 14point7 spartan2 but as it seems the analog output seems maybe a bit slow. First thought about the MS lag factor as a reason but from reading around it seems as if i'am not the only one with this problem. Otherwise i think it's a great little unit. Just a second analog output wíth programmable range would be bonus.

Does anybody had solved the Spartan2 analog output issue?

Best regards
Honda CRX B16A1 Turbo | MS3 running | pre1.5.1 beta7 Firmware | 24/1 Dual Wheel | COP ignition | 725cc ID injectors
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

I've been running an LC1 for going on 5 years now with out any issues but I do calibrate it as specified in the manual.

A little inconvenient but I don't want to change it for something else as long as it gives me good service.

And as with anything, ask 10 people and you will probably get 10 different answers. :lol:

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
mrx79
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mrx79 »

turbo conversion wrote:A little inconvenient but I don't want to change it for something else as long as it gives me good service.
And as with anything, ask 10 people and you will probably get 10 different answers. :lol:
Totaly agree with that... the question over best WBO2 is pretty hard, as everyone has different experiences.
And to be honest, almost all WBO2 in the tuning scene are not lab grade either, so don't expect precision under all circumstances in the ppm range :D
Honda CRX B16A1 Turbo | MS3 running | pre1.5.1 beta7 Firmware | 24/1 Dual Wheel | COP ignition | 725cc ID injectors
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

Many of the TE units can be upgraded to a 4.9 with a jumper and firmware change...
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

Hello,
Rick Finsta wrote:The only caveat I offer with the TechEdge stuff is that they are in Australia and sometimes difficult to reach. Their products are top-notch, but the documentation is in shambles for some products (especially some of the DIY stuff) and their website does not exactly instill confidence in purchasing. I actually emailed Peter to ask if they were still in business before my last purchase because the website hadn't been updated in a year and I didn't even know how to pay securely...
you can use Paypal :D
Regards,
Manu
I can supply, repair or upgrade Megasquirts in FRANCE.

https://www.megasquirt.fr