Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mrx79
Experienced MS/Extra'er

EAE: SFW higher at low MAP

Post by mrx79 »

Hi,
just a short question to all EAE users.
I have mine running reasonably good but have a question to you, as my calibration differes from what the manual suggests.

My Add-To-Wall is the same like the manual, Low numbers at low MAP and high percentages at high MAP / no change in boost area.
My Suck-From-Wall is the other way around, high percentages at low MAP (even more then Add-To-Wall %age) and low percentages at high MAP (around 1/10th of ATW value)

For my understanding of physics, this can be true, as the high vacuum sucks a higher percentage of the wall fuel (which in absolut numbers of course is smaller at low load) into the cylinders as at higher load.

Do you agree or do you went with the manuals approach or also higher Suck-From-Wall at higher MAP's then at lower MAP's?
Honda CRX B16A1 Turbo | MS3 running | pre1.5.1 beta7 Firmware | 24/1 Dual Wheel | COP ignition | 725cc ID injectors
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: EAE: SFW higher at low MAP

Post by muythaibxr »

I wrote what's in the manual based on what I found in the research I did (10 years ago now).

I didn't include all the correction curves that could have been there. One of those was "airflow."

Airflow is higher at higher MAP and causes more fuel to be pulled from the walls overall.

However, at lower pressure, more will evaporate on its own.

Which effect is stronger depends on the engine and its characteristics.

So I'd say just use what works.

When I get my own car back up and running I'll be testing to see if we can make EAE easier to tune.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
mrx79
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mrx79 »

Yea, i will do so... just wanted to confirm some oppinions on that before starting tuning again as the process of EAE tuning is quite time consuming compared to normal base VE tuning... at least i'am not that fast in making decisions yet :D

But i think the more often i will do it, the quicker i get ;-)

Thanks for the info so far...
Honda CRX B16A1 Turbo | MS3 running | pre1.5.1 beta7 Firmware | 24/1 Dual Wheel | COP ignition | 725cc ID injectors
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

FWIW, I had a horrible issues with popping in the exhaust on decel and subsequent re-engaging of the throttle. Very little would change that condition. The popping was especially there at high rpm. I discussed it with some knowledgeable engine guru's on another forum and they pointed to the wall fuel as the cause.
Last drive, I just switched on EAE as is and it seemed not to pop anymore. Probably not correctly tuned but maybe a good indicaton.

Wonder why the airflow curve is not used.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Because the airflow curve is mostly a function of RPM so I figured it could be tuned the way it currently is. Also, my eventual goal is to decomplicate the feature. More curves means more complication.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

Yves wrote:FWIW, I had a horrible issues with popping in the exhaust on decel and subsequent re-engaging of the throttle. Very little would change that condition. The popping was especially there at high rpm. I discussed it with some knowledgeable engine guru's on another forum and they pointed to the wall fuel as the cause.
Last drive, I just switched on EAE as is and it seemed not to pop anymore. Probably not correctly tuned but maybe a good indicaton.

Wonder why the airflow curve is not used.
Not trying to get off track for this thread but my son has a 2004 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 2 manual transmission that is 100% stock.

It has always popped out the exhaust under deceleration.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

muythaibxr wrote:Because the airflow curve is mostly a function of RPM so I figured it could be tuned the way it currently is. Also, my eventual goal is to decomplicate the feature. More curves means more complication.
Yes they are complicated but maybe those curves are necessary to reach good results.

An autotune feature for this on the other hand would be more than welcome. However this has been suggested a couple of times before.
sedd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by sedd »

I don't mean to hijack the post. I wonder if some of the odd values could be due to basic acceleration values. Possibly over adjustments?

Based on my research of this site, it appears basic acceleration adjustment does not turn off and can cause some issues with EAE trying to compensate for a poor basic correction value set? I am not certain about this. If true, I am curious if others have found that a person should turn off the basic acceleration adjustment = to set those correction values to zero when using the EAE?

Or does the use of EAE automatically turn off those adjustments? In that case, never mind..................

As noted above it would be fantastic to do an auto tune for EAE or even the more basic one I am trying to make work first.
1970 Chevelle, 540 big block, AFR heads, headers, mild cam
MS3 release 1.4.0, sequential fuel, LS2 coil per plug
Tuner Studio MS V3.0.05
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

I just turned on EAE and it seems to work rather well out of the box. The only thing I haven't fixed yet is it goes lean when coming off a decel and reengaging the throttle a little. I tried more accel fuel but it didn't help one bit. I also tried less accel same effect. Popping in the exhaust is less but still there at high rpm, but less with EAE. I don't think this is an accel issue as usually after a very short time the readings go to normal after being initially very lean.

Not sure which one of the curves that deals with this.